b16 bottom end question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

t3t4si

I've got a boosted b16 around 8 psi. I just recently ran into some problems. The rings in cylinders 3 and 4 fried. I was curoius to what all i could do make that level of boost safer. Like only buying the pistons and rings along with a cooper head gasket. I do not want to boost any higher i just want it safer. If anyone has any suggestoins please let me know... Also does anyone know now much hp factory b16 rods can handle?

Thanks

I am using
440cc rc injectors
walbro 255 fuel pump
12:1 fmu (vortec)
aem fuel rail, filter, and pressure regulator
Everyone always says hondata or something of that nature but i dont want to boost any higher.

i can get you oem pistons with rings for $45 per.

*ready for the rock throwin* b16 rods can handle 500 hp, so long as you machine them properly. take them to a machinist who will first remove piston, then bead blast, followed by polishing, finished it all with a shot peen. you will then have a very strong oem rod that wont cost over $160-180 for the bundle.

youre gonna need a top end kit. i suggest westminister honda, they have a website and sell top end kits for $85. the only thing missin is the tb gasket.

Originally posted by simplyfast@Dec 20 2003, 03:01 PM

*ready for the rock throwin* b16 rods can handle 500 hp, so long as you machine them properly. take them to a machinist who will first remove piston, then bead blast, followed by polishing, finished it all with a shot peen.

where can you get all of that done? and how much would all of this cost?

to a machine shop, the same place youd get your block cleaned, decked, bored and honed. youre lookin at $40-45 per rod to get that done.

bead blast-glass beads that simply clean the rod
shot peen- lead balls that strengthen the rod
polishing-sanding that removes the casting, removing a crack point
balance-make each rod weigh the same

the machinist will charge for a basic r&r, then each accordingly.

Back