B16 Build ?s

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

heterosapian

I recently rebuilt a 350 with my freind for an old el camino. I hope you guys dont think this a stupid question but how much more difficult/time-consuming would it be to do the same to a b16 sir1. I am only interested in a low comp rod and piston deal for some decent boost. Will i need a professional machine shop to work it at all? Are there any major internal safety modifications other than this that i should take into consideration? I would love to pull close to 300whp with a low trim t3/t4, 92 octane (streetable) and proper tuning. Can my Y1 and LSD handle all that? My budget is no more than 1000 for the internals. Possible?
i know its alot of questions for one post
thanks

ya the biulding is the same if you can do a 350 you can biuld a honda motor
for 1000 bucks you need to buy rods and pistons and you might want to get a block gaurd or solid deck sleves for that motor
but you can do all the work ie hone and debure the cylinder plasti gauge and check the gaping
you might need to get the cylinder reboard adn you might also need new bearings

Originally posted by heterosapian@Mar 10 2003, 07:01 PM
I recently rebuilt a 350 with my freind for an old el camino. I hope you guys dont think this a stupid question but how much more difficult/time-consuming would it be to do the same to a b16 sir1. I am only interested in a low comp rod and piston deal for some decent boost. Will i need a professional machine shop to work it at all? Are there any major internal safety modifications other than this that i should take into consideration? I would love to pull close to 300whp with a low trim t3/t4, 92 octane (streetable) and proper tuning. Can my Y1 and LSD handle all that? My budget is no more than 1000 for the internals. Possible?
i know its alot of questions for one post
thanks

How reliable do you want this? Domestics, such as the 350 is a cast iron block. It does not use sleeves and it is a close deck design. The b16 uses sleeves, and is open deck. For 300whp to be SAFE and reliable. I would get it resleeved and a block guard. But that eats your 1000 up in a heartbeat. At first, you can go with some low CR roller wave pistons and eagle rods. That will cost about 800-900 total. Spend the 130 or so for a Nuformz block guard and have it installed. Your sleeves still might go if you boost to hard.

Back