b16 build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

word

i have decided to start building my motor, i have no particular goals just want to be faster and staying 1600cc, call me weird but I like the thought small motor & high revs.

right now i have: I/E, ITR intake manifold, GSR throttle body, 8lb flywheel and exedy clutch, jun chipped p28 and the little stuff.

if possible i'd like to go with mostly oem honda parts for reliability.

i want to start from the block with block guard, ITR pistons and a thin head gasket.

I remember reading about the compression ratio being lower with b16's compared to b18's with the same pistons but I couldn't find it. Is it possible to get my compression ratio in the 12's or 11.5 with just honda pistons? or should i go with wiseco/endyne and other aftermarket pistons?

with the head i am going to get the CTR intake cam (maybe a little wilder, not sure yet going to do the block first), ITR exhaust cam, skunk2 valvetrain and a p&p job.

any suggestions and inputs are welcomed, i am not 100% set on what parts to use.

thanks

loose the jun chip and go hondata. i'll bet you pick up 10+ whp, if not 20 in the midrange. you have to be running stupid rich right now.

yes, b16 head drops compression about .2:1 check out c-speedracing.com's how-to section for their compression calculator.

don't run a block gaurd. thats the worst thing you could do. you don't need it.

if you go with a thin headgasket, make sure you clay the motor for piston to valve clearence, or you may hit... esp with a couple degress of advance on the intake cam and a larger cam profile.
I say keep the stock headgasket and get the proper pistons that you were going to use anyway.
if you are going to run 12:1, why go small with a ctr cam? go toda B's or skunk2 stage 2 at least. you will see a much bigger gain, and having high compression will help with your low end torque.

completely agree ^

Also wanted to add that honda made oversized pistons for some extra added umpf.

also noticed that you don't have a header, go with starting from price

jdmITR4-1 ->header tech->SMSP

Milan

yes, ITR pistons in a B16 will lower your CR I would throw some CTR pistons in there instead of the ITR, with the CTR pistons in the B16 your CR will be around 11.6:1. Toda B's are the shit, but are expensive :) look into skunk2 stage2 as well.

is it possible to to run sknuk2 stage 2's and still pass the emissions test. i dont live in cali. so its not as strick but we still have emissions. also do u think it would have clearence problems with those cams and say some je 12:1 or 12.5:1 pistions with the stock head gasket?

yes
the skunk2s have stock low lobes
so at the 3K RPMs that they test at you will basicly be running stock cams

as long as you are tuned well you'll be fine

Back