B16 cam gear bolts???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

He should of took one of the cams to home depot, and tried one in it... I would of done it..

I thought the bolt stretches before it snaps?

Depends on the yeild and tensile strength. I've seen bolts snap that were slightly over torqued(especially brittle material) and other bolts just keep stretching until it ran out of thread or head sheared off(the most extreme I've seen was a 3/4" or 1" bolt that was stretched so badly it was about half the diameter near the middle).

I didn't take it personally. You stated your reason why you believed the OE's were crap or aftermarket were better, and I stated why I believe the OE are actually good and you weren't giving them credit. :)

One thing to keep in mind about the OE bolt is it uses a very thick washer(maybe about 5mm thick) so the bolt doesn't need to be as long.

He should of took one of the cams to home depot, and tried one in it... I would of done it..

You are right, I should have brought one in with me. Unfortunately the HD that is in my town, and I stress town, is not very big and has the most awful selection of bolts. The thing is, I know you guys are really pushing the 10's and the 8's but being completely honest the 10's are to small. Is there a possible way that it may be a 12? I get all messed up because I'm and electrician and wire size the smaller the gauge the larger physical size of the wire. Start thinking about bolts and get all confused, especially hung over lol. To clarify the 8 is smaller than the 10? Like screws a 6-32 is smaller than an 8-32. I'm going out to the garage right now and taking a video, I'll try and post it.
Thanks,

Guy

HD in general has a very crappy selection...unless you're a carpenter. I've never even seen metric parts are our local HDs; yes, plural.

You sure you're getting the right 8s? As in M8, and not a #8 screw?

You are right, I should have brought one in with me. Unfortunately the HD that is in my town, and I stress town, is not very big and has the most awful selection of bolts. The thing is, I know you guys are really pushing the 10's and the 8's but being completely honest the 10's are to small. Is there a possible way that it may be a 12? I get all messed up because I'm and electrician and wire size the smaller the gauge the larger physical size of the wire. Start thinking about bolts and get all confused, especially hung over lol. To clarify the 8 is smaller than the 10? Like screws a 6-32 is smaller than an 8-32. I'm going out to the garage right now and taking a video, I'll try and post it.
Thanks,

Guy

Well its not gonna be a M12 thats the same size as your lug nutz..

I havnt actually found an 8 bolt which I am assuming is way smaller than a #8 screw lol. But I just went and took a video (which my black berry will not let me send) and a few pictures. I went through my random bolt bucket and actually found the correct size that I need unfortunately the bolt is way to long. I am currently uploading the pictures to photobucket, should be able to post them shortly.

utf-8BSU1HMDAwNjctMjAxMTAyMjctMTYxNC5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAwNjktMjAxMTAyMjctMTYxNS5qcGc.jpg

The 10x30
utf-8BSU1HMDAwNzItMjAxMTAyMjctMTYxNy5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAwNzQtMjAxMTAyMjctMTYxOC5qcGc.jpg

The Bolt that fit
utf-8BSU1HMDAwNzYtMjAxMTAyMjctMTYxOS5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAwNzctMjAxMTAyMjctMTYyMC5qcGc-1.jpg

Lowes has a pretty decent selection - usually. Depends if the manager keeps his stock filled.

Take the cam with you to Lowes.

Looks like a 10mm like CAFROG pulled the spec on.

Last edited:
That's a stock cam?

This is the only pic I can find right now of a stock SOHC cam, blurry, I know.
100_2231.jpg

I never said the number on the bolt is the size! The other doesn't even say 8 it has a S imprinted on it. The point I'm making is that the 10x30 is the same part number as on the link you sent me, that I picked up from Honda yesterday and is to small. The other bolt is significantly larger as you can see in the pics

I've just measured a complete OEM bolt and it's definitely M8x1.25

That transmission or starter bolt is definitely larger than what a stock cam would use.

Yeah I think someone gave you the wrong cams, honda cam bolts should take a 12mm wrench.. None of them take any bigger bolt.. D and B series take the same..

Back