B16 Cam Gear in D16A1 Head?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

1gcvcb18

People I was told that the Cam Gear off a B16 Head fit the D16A1 head (known as ZC), but which B16 and is it possible?

It'll work if it has the same number of belt grooves, and the bolt and alignment key are the same. I can take some measurements on my stock D16A1 cam gears, but you'll have to get someone with a B-series to do the same in order to compare.

O and the D16A1 is only known as the ZC to those who don't know the difference. I'm fairly certain that the timing gears are different between a USDM D16A1 and the JDM DOHC ZC. Other differences include higher CR in the JDM version and different motor mounts.

D16A1 cam gears have 40 teeth and the matching D16A1 crankshaft gear for the timing belt has 20 teeth

the JDM DOHC ZC cam gears have 34 teeth and the matching DOHC ZC crankshaft gear for the timing belt has 17 teeth - no other D-series engine has a crank gear with 17 teeth

B-series cam gears also have 34 teeth and the matching crankshaft gear for the timing belt has 17 teeth - the B-series crank gear will not fit a D-series crank - the B-series cam gears will fit a JDM DOHC ZC but the timing marks are one tooth off on the exhaust cam gear

SOHC D-series engine cam gears have 38 teeth with 19 on the crank gear

if you had a JDM DOHC ZC crank gear from 88 model with the smaller front crank snout, you could use it on the D16A1 along with the B-series cam gears - this is the only way it would work (and timing marks are still off one tooth)

Last edited:
O and the D16A1 is only known as the ZC to those who don't know the difference. I'm fairly certain that the timing gears are different between a USDM D16A1 and the JDM DOHC ZC. Other differences include higher CR in the JDM version and different motor mounts.
actually, if comparing the D16A1 to the 88-91 JDM DOHC ZC, it is easier to list the things that are the same

86-87 D16A1 - the only parts that are the same are the valves, valve springs, retainers, and rocker arms - everything else is different

88-89 D16A1 - the only parts that are the same are the valves, valve springs, retainers, rocker arms, pistons, throttle body, distributor and Cylinder Position Sensor - everything else is different

the 1st gen JDM DOHC ZC from the 1st gen CRX Si, 3rd gen Civic Si and 1st gen Integra is essesntially the same as a D16A1 with different camshafts and different pistons in the "browntop" ZC - also have different intake manifolds on some

Back