1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

b16 cams

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by slopoke, Jun 1, 2004.

1. slopoke

slopoke Member

A bud asked me to find out if the cams were different in a b16 with a auto or a mt tranny. he built a b20 vtec and no matter what ecu he puts in you dont have vtec.He said he has tried everything and when I went there he had the head off again. its in a 96 civic with a obd conversion harness he pulled the exhaust and says you can here the vtec in the exhaust but not through the intake and you cant really feel it at all. the b16 was from a jdm with automatic tranny. plenty of oil preassure and everything else is fine with no cel. He straight wired the vtec and still did not inguage when running at WOT but silenoid doese inguage when powered up at idle. Havent seen it yet but he keeps calling.
    Thanks Guys

2. dohch22a4

dohch22a4 Senior Member

The auto cams are slightly midler, but not to that extent. Something else must be wrong.

3. Bl6CRX

Bl6CRX Senior Member

yeah its not the cams fault, check the oil jet under the middle cam cap and, and the ones on the far right cam cap, (or is it the camseal tower) as well as the oil jets on the the LMAs

4. xj0hnx

xj0hnx I wanna be sedated VIP

Does anyone have actual specs comparing the auto and manual cams? Or is this just an urban legend?

5. JDMG2i

JDMG2i Junior Member

If the motor is back together in his car just run ground and power to the vtec solinoid with the car off and you should hear a click when you put power to it.

6. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

There are definitely cam differences on Honda engines between some of the auto and manual engines of the same block code... just not sure if it's true with the B16.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted