B16 CRX Swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

joshd

I have some knowledge in cars and have a CRX si with an intake and exhuast. I want to swap a b16a1 into it. I am wondering if anyone has done a swap at home in a regular garage. I also am wondering besides the 10 HP difference is a b16a2 or 3 a much better choice over the 1st generation b16a1. It is a money issue if i should go to a b16a2. Is it a big difference in performance?

do you want to leave your car obd0 or do you want to change it to obd1?
how much are you looking to spend, its cheaper to stay obd0

Also, would have to switch to hydraulic clutch w/B16a 2/3 swap. Little extra cash, little extra hassle. B16A1 has cable. Just something to think about.

Quoted post[/post]]
Also, would have to switch to hydraulic clutch w/B16a 2/3 swap. Little extra cash, little extra hassle. B16A1 has cable. Just something to think about.
not really! I have a b16a3 in my crx and have a cable tranny, you can use a cable tranny on the motor, just have to use the flywheel that matches the tranny. but if you use the hydro tranny hasport makes a cable to hydro kit, so you can use cable on a hydro tranny.

also I have my crx converted to obd1 (better tuning for turbo)

i have decided to go with b16a1 to keep my car obd0. This seems to be a fairly easy install with a few parts from an integra and hasport mounts. I have not done a swap or rebuilt an engine, is it a good idea to attempt a swap?
I really want to do it and have done alot of research, but i have my doubts.

I swapped a b16 into my CRX HF in 2 days in my garage. All you'll need to have besides basic hand tools is a cherry picker/engine hoist (installation from top) or a lift (installation from bottom). The SiR swap is the easiest (b16a) because the electronics match up exactly. All you have to do is drop the engine in with the new mounts and wire up vtec. With the b16a2 you'll need to either convert your car to OBD1 (good for tuning if you plan on doing lots of modifications later) or convert your engine to OBD0 (which involes a new distributor and some other shit, I don't know, i've never done it). The extra 10 hp isn't really that big a deal. If you want to regain it, you could drop in some GSR cams and put on I/H/E.

Back