B16 Driveshafts length?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Jayamashey

Finally got my car runing but once I took it out and hit 20 KM an hour it shook live mad (more straight than turning - its seems to ease on the turns). There is something the matter with the driveshafts but I need to figure out what.

When I installed them I could only tighten them so the nut was flush with the end of the shaft (unlike my D16 which had a 1/4 inch of the shaft outside the outer part of the nut). I bought them from an EF that already had them installed (with a B16 1st gen (possibly with ABS) - at least I am sure they had them installed).

I am not sure if they are warped or if they are too long. I had a heck of a time getting the driver side ball joint back in. Over a year ago I installed JDM from knuckles from a civic (ie. bigger front brakes) so this may affect it.

What length should the shafts be? Or should I look for some type of seal to remove? If the shafts are ABS would they cause it to 'bumb' like crazy when driving straight?

I am running a 2nd gen b16 with a JDM S1 tranny(tranny is good - drove it before it was installed in my car). Car is an '89 Si without ABS.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Last edited:
have the dust rings been removed from the CV joint and knuckle/hub?

Attachments

• axleinstall.jpg
    axleinstall.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 241
I bought a set of Non ABS drive shafts and put the ball joint end from the '89 onto the end. This worked perfectly and got rid of the bumpy binding.

Back