b16 ef start up problem will only start at full throttle

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

labrunell

I just dropped in my b16a on my 90 hatch, I bought the hatch shell with the mpfi conversion done as it previously had a zc motor on it so I just went with it without folling with the ecu pins. I dropped it in and it will only start when the throttle body is all the way open and when its all the way open it will only idle at around 700 rpm. As soon as I let go a little bit of the throttle it dies. My questions are why will it only run around 700 rpm when the throttle is all the way open ? Is this a common problem? Did I over look something ? Could it be a vacuun problem ? Coukd it be a messed up sensor ? I don't know how to check codes, do I need a special scanner to do it? I dobt have the exhasut hooked up, just the header, and my o2 sensor is not wired yet, vtec is also unhooked right now. Plugs , distributor brand new , and intake manifold was dissambled and cleaned I just listed a few things that might be a factor to what's wrong with it. any help is appreciated thanks

What ECU are you running with that b16?

Sounds pretty well half as$ed. Sorry for being BLUNDT. :huh:

Well the reason y I didn't hook the rest of the stuff was because I was told that it would run without it and just incase I would have to tear it back apart, but I was gonna put it all together before driving it. I am running it obd0 with a pr3.

Well the reason y I didn't hook the rest of the stuff was because I was told that it would run without it and just incase I would have to tear it back apart, but I was gonna put it all together before driving it. I am running it obd0 with a pr3.

PR3 : 89-91 JDM B16A EF8/9
Atleast you are running the right ecu, for the 4th gen hatch.
Do the engine components match?
It could be something as simple as a vacuum leak, although I would really check over the wiring, sensors and components. Post some pix. :cool:

I tried to post but I wasn't successful, here's a link to my pics of my b16a and my hatch . I got less than 1200 tied up in all so I pretty satisfied I got really good parts no bs and I even have hasport mounts with it let me know what yall think.
Facebook Mobile

Is the CEL on? If it's on there's a 2 wire plug under the dash near the computer that you jumper out in order to read the codes its throwing. You have to jumper it then turn the key on and count how many times the CEL flashes.
Maybe the tps is bad or the map. Could have swapped the plugs around on them.
Is the timing out?

Back