B16 & Emissions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

URNVS

I just put a B16 in my 89 CRX Si a couple of weeks ago and it is failing its emissions check.

Test/allowed/actual
CO/15/64.30
HC/1.60/2.58

Installed new O2 sensors, dist cap, rotor and spark plug wires and ALMOST passed;

Test/allowed/actual
CO/15/16.42
HC/1.60/1.44
NOX/2.50/1.34

Compression is 190/210/205/210 and the ECU is/was not throwing any codes. No mods yet (no point in deliberately making it harder to pass ;)).

Some of the other threads about emissions mention adjusting the air/fuel mixture, how is this accomplished? Also, I was wondering what the numbers for a properly running 1st gen B16 are supposed to look like (ie am I way off still)? Any help is really appreciated!

your numbers arent bad at all, you only failed on CO the last time. CO is rich/lean indicator, i think the number for a complete burn is 12 something (i forget) so it seems your burning all your fuel in the culinder. At the same time though, your HC's dropped dramatically (HC's are caused by unburnt fuel, either a lean misfire, and too rich) and your NOx levels are fine (NOx indicates high combustion temps, also a sign of running lean, or misfire).

If it hasnt already been done, try retarding your timing a bit, that should help to lower you CO level. I would also change your plugs, PCV, Fuel Filter, Air Filter etc, anything related to engine performance. The only thing that really made a difference of the list of parts you changed was probably the wires.

If that doesnt work, or you want some extra insurance, try some of that "Guaranteed to Pass" shit they sell at NAPA. I normally wouldnt recommend these things, but a guy i work with used it, and passed with his fairly modified V8 Caprice.

Dont get discouraged, you only failed by a nut hair.

-Chris

I was looking at that 'guaranteed to pass' stuff and the instructions say run it through the system then refill with normal gas and run through that way. Is that what I should do or does it run cleaner with the stuff mixed in?

There also seems to be a few different poinoins on low vs high octane gas. Which actually runs cleaner?

my integra failed. I ran that shit and it made the numbers worse. I ended up paying someone to "fix the o2 sensor wiring" to pass it.(even tho there is only 1 wire to my 02 sensor...lol...)

Back