B16 FACTORY LSD TRANNY OIL

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

arpee79

OK i have a used Factory LSD Y1 tranny on B16 and i was using MOTUL 300 synthetic oil for about 5months and i still have a bit of grinding on 2nd gear...so i take my engine apart for rebuild for turbo and i drop all KInds of tranny oil everywhere,So now the engine is back on and im looking for a better oil for the LSD AND THE GRINDING PROBLEM... friend told to get this (GM synchromesh OIL) but like me i was at SuperVIPmotoring and was to lazy to look for a GM dealer and they had MOTUL LSD OIL SAE 90 PA with GL5 and so i bought it today ??????is this ok to us or should i get some other oil. THANKS

http://www.pdm-racing.com/products/motuloil.html you can see the LSD oil i bought MOTUL PA in the 2 LITRE can it cost $18 bucks

THANKS AGAIN

The cable transmissions with LSD used a clutch LSD system... I use Trans-X positraction friction modifer in my CRX's transmission, and it works great. You can get a tube for $4 at AutoZone. Squeeze all that goop into the transmission, then fill it the rest of the way with genuine Honda Manual Transmission fluid.

That 90PA will probably work just as well if not better than the Trans-X that I use. Just make sure you dump everything that's in the transmission now, plug it, put the LSD oil in, then finish up with Honda MTF. I guarantee you that almost all your LSD noise will go away. I only hear/feel mine turning at full lock in parking lots.

Good question. Honda spends a lot of money paying their engineeers to answer these kinds of questions. Why not just use what they recomend--- motor oil or their own manual trans fluid? I belive if something else was better for their cars they would use it wouldn't they???? I have been listening to this arguement for 40 yrs about motorcycle clutches. The factories all still recommend SAE motor oil for them. All the additives seem like snake oil designed to make the sellers rich. Calesta, do you think there was a noticable differance when you added the trans-ex? B)

Originally posted by steelbuster@Sep 13 2003, 07:13 AM
Calesta, do you think there was a noticable differance when you added the trans-ex? B)

Yes, there was a slightly noticeable difference after I added the Trans-X... "slightly" being that the car would lurch, grind, and sound like it was going to drop an axle right out of the transmission at every turn- and after the Trans-X went in, all the vibration and noise went away. The bumping and popping was enough to kick the car all over the place, and it really just felt like someone was hitting the floorboard with a sledgehammer while you were turning. Not fun.

As for "what Honda's engineers recommend" you put into your transmission, go to your local Honda service desk and take a look at all the fluids they have available. You'll see a little picture called "Honda differential additive" or something like that... and I'll bet you that it's very similar to Posi-Traction friction modifier. The only difference is that I haven't found a Honda parts department employee that knew what the hell that differential fluid was used for. You don't need it for the helical LSDs in the ITR and SIR transmissions- only the older clutch LSD setups.

it certainly is. in any case people claim that using synchromesh (especially with the special/more expensive modified version) that their transmissions are shifting more smoothly as a whole and that they are getting rid of the 7kplus grind that cable transmissions are known for.

Back