b16 gen 1 swap start-up problems

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

bob06

I finally got my b16 to start, it runs but isn't driveable. When i do get it to start i have to keep the throttle on the floor and it bogs down really bad. I have to continuously blip the throttle to get it to start also, and it won't go past 6000, and it doesn't run consistently. By saying nor running consistently i mean that it doesn't start consitently and it bogs down when it runs... it will never stay at a specific rpm. it is either revving up or boging down. To get it to start i have to retard the timing all the way(push the dizzy as far toward the radiator as possible). I am getting a code 4 for Crank Angle. Please help. I dunno what the problem is. -bob

What kind of a car did you put it in? A dx, si, hf? I had the same problem with a dx and I kept going over all my wiring but couldnt find anything. Then I found that one of my main relay wires at the ecu was unplugged just a little, not enough to notice without pulling on every wire. Check all your wiring if its a dx.

it is a dx. tomorrow night or the nesty day we are taking off the harness and checking and pretty much redoing everything from the ecu to the engine...

Nope. Not fixed yet. Thanks for asking though. I didn't expect anyone to be too interested. I never get any help on H-T. I've had the recent luck of aquiring the Honda Factory Manual for the JDM SiR CRX. I was gonna go work on the car tonight but i have a big test in the morning and a paper due friday that I have to work on. I'm borrowing a friends multimeter to test the wires that i think are crank angle. I'm unsure whether my dizzy is wired right though. The SiR comes with a 7 pin connector and the dx only has a 6 pin connector so i was forced to wire crank angle seperately when repinning my dizzy. If I could get pin-outs for both connectors that would help a lot.

Originally posted by bob06@Apr 13 2005, 10:44 PM
Nope. Not fixed yet. Thanks for asking though. I didn't expect anyone to be too interested. I never get any help on H-T. I've had the recent luck of aquiring the Honda Factory Manual for the JDM SiR CRX. I was gonna go work on the car tonight but i have a big test in the morning and a paper due friday that I have to work on. I'm borrowing a friends multimeter to test the wires that i think are crank angle. I'm unsure whether my dizzy is wired right though. The SiR comes with a 7 pin connector and the dx only has a 6 pin connector so i was forced to wire crank angle seperately when repinning my dizzy. If I could get pin-outs for both connectors that would help a lot.
[post=486897]Quoted post[/post]​

what computer do you have in the car because if it start then it might be reading crank angle sensor 180 out.

[/quote]
what computer do you have in the car because if it start then it might be reading crank angle sensor 180 out.
[post=487108]Quoted post[/post]​
[/quote]

ECU is PW0. Pin outs of each distributor plug would help a lot.

It runs. It fuckin runs. It mother fucking runs. You have no idea how happy I am. WE just hauled ass all over town with a 2 inch gap between the down pipe and cat, no insurance, no hood, no bumper, and bunk ass seat belts. We were reving to red behind Mazzio's. It was so fuckin sweet. not 5 minutes after we parked it a cop drove by with his search light on. Tonight is the best night of my life. \

Anyway, The problem: Distributor was wired wrong. As soon as i switched 3 wires around, it fired right up. Now i am getting code 14 for Electronic Air Control. It barely idles and it the idle is very low. less than 500rpm.

tonight was fuckin awesome.

i need a solution for a shitty idle.

(twice on purpose.)

Originally posted by bob06@Apr 15 2005, 12:57 AM
It runs. It fuckin runs. It mother fucking runs. You have no idea how happy I am. WE just hauled ass all over town with a 2 inch gap between the down pipe and cat, no insurance, no hood, no bumper, and bunk ass seat belts. We were reving to red behind Mazzio's. It was so fuckin sweet. not 5 minutes after we parked it a cop drove by with his search light on. Tonight is the best night of my life. \

Anyway, The problem: Distributor was wired wrong. As soon as i switched 3 wires around, it fired right up. Now i am getting code 14 for Electronic Air Control. It barely idles and it the idle is very low. less than 500rpm.

i need a solution for a shitty idle.

(twice on purpose.)
[post=487360]Quoted post[/post]​

hehe, I remember that first spin I took the rex on arround the block. Oh god was it glorious. I know just how you feel B)

sounds like fun- nothing to glorious any more ! the faster you go the less fun it is - the funest thing i think ill have is going from fwd to rwd !

good job getting it running. I had a similar prob that f-ing pissed me off so bad I was ready to give up. But I got it running , without exhaust also. Hope you get your other problem fixed.

Back