b16 goes tick, tick, tick

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

new2me93

just traded my banshee for a 93 hatch with a b16. when i got it i could hear a tick from the head, thought it would only need a simple valve adjustment but i have done them twice now and the noise is still there. could it be the lost motion assemblys? also there is a chance that it has been overreved sence the ecu it came with limited at 9500 on a stock motor. are lma's a good place to start or is more headwork in my future?

:confused:

just traded my banshee for a 93 hatch with a b16. when i got it i could hear a tick from the head, thought it would only need a simple valve adjustment but i have done them twice now and the noise is still there. could it be the lost motion assemblys? also there is a chance that it has been overreved sence the ecu it came with limited at 9500 on a stock motor. are lma's a good place to start or is more headwork in my future?

:confused:

yes 9500 rpm's is a problem on a stock motor with stock valvesprings. The LMA's could be bad, or the valves themselves could be messed up from valve float+hitting pistons at 9500 rmp's/

Try the Intake manifold

You may want to try the intake manifold....I know it sounds crazy but i have had the same issues with it and it was intake manifold. the revs could have had something to do with it. If it has been taken to high RPMs and it is stock, you can over heat the intake manifold and cause a ticking noise. Look into this first, its cheaper. Hook it up to a computer and turn it off. if the ticking stops, that is what it is!

injectors on Hondas tick.. i thought i had the same problem w/ my b16 ticking.. had the valves checked and they were good.. chances are though, the motor has been revved to hell..

the noise is from the intake side of to motor. it has been hooked to a diagnostic computer and all checked out ok. what part of the intake could make a tick?

i can also hear the injectors, but this noise is louder and is not as constant as an injector.
the noise gets louder and quieter.

A small exhaust leak can give a tick sound. The downpipe to car donut gasket is right under the intake manifold. Maybe thats why you hear a tick there

id go with the lost motion assemblies. mines got the same tick that you speak of. im gonna try adjusting the valves but im pretty sure that the lma's are the problem.

id go with the lost motion assemblies. mines got the same tick that you speak of. im gonna try adjusting the valves but im pretty sure that the lma's are the problem.

Could be lots of things, but noone will know unless its diagnosed properly. I just adjusted the valve-lash earlier tonight on my b16. still ticking as well. I think its the lifters. as the engine rpm's increase, the ticking goes faster. Could be exhaust like mentioned earler. I put a stetho-scope on and i did hear it in the head especially toward cylinder 1-2.

strange , I have the same problem , but I havent calibrate valves yet.

strange , I have the same problem , but I havent calibrate valves yet.

If you do infact adjust the lash, heres the oem spec's for the b16a2 (99-00 civic si) clearances...

You will need a flat head screwdriver, a feeler gauge and a 10mm box end wrench. Also, a 10mm deep socket and ratchet.

for the intake valves, the oem spec is 0.007 and the exhaust is 0.008 of an inch. which is pretty much eight-thousandths of an inch. That is right out of ALL-DATA.

turbo?

excellent , i needed that information !

and I know this is not the subject, but what do you recommend for a b16a JDM SiR II turbo with 5psi ?

I just bought a turbo kit from ebay ! , and I wanted to know what should I worry about , i bought the lc-1 wideband and VAFC NEO Apexi for tunning , i wanted to put only 5psi be cause is a daily driven car ! do you think stock internals is fine ?

Randall.

5psi is not much, so internals are fine, as long as its tuned.
you should have went with Hondata for better tuning

you know, i have a ticking problem on my H22, also. i adjusted the valves twice, and it never helped. it only does it at idle though, and it's not constant. it's more of a "taka-taka...........taka-taka..taka-taka..........................taka-taka" has anyone else had this problem? and have you done your lma's yet?

you know, i have a ticking problem on my H22, also. i adjusted the valves twice, and it never helped. it only does it at idle though, and it's not constant. it's more of a "taka-taka...........taka-taka..taka-taka..........................taka-taka" has anyone else had this problem? and have you done your lma's yet?

Try running a thicker oil. I went from 10-30 to 5-30 but still nothing... may work out for you... either way it doesnt matter, the head is coming off and going to the machine shop next month, focusing on gathering all the parts for my new build.

problem

I friend of mine has that problem on a b18a1 , and it was that thing in between crankshaft and rods ,.... bearings ? , my language is spanish , hard to know all the words;) , but he had to change that and piston rings too !

Dude, it is the most common problem with hondas that there is and i guarantee it is your problem. It is the timing belt tensioner. When they start to go bad they tick, replace it and i will bet 500$ it will go away. I had the same problem with my b16, tried everything till i realized what it was.

tick

not always ! , mine is not that ! , I heard that from my mechanic too ,we change belt , tensioner and including the retainers all japan , and didn't work I think we should consider this :

-Enough oil in the head --- having a preasure test ! and how tick the oil should be.

-Valve calibration .

-Injectors - check , sometimes when they are damaged , a louder tick sound is created and looks like is valves

-Valve that is fucked up and is doing that tick sound. replace and test

i think is some of the ideas we should consider, if someone want to rectify or add some more ideas ,, be my guest:D

My 07 civic with 20k miles on it ticks too. I just don't care about my piece of shit, K20/24 frankie here I come FTW.

But I agree, LMA's

Back