B16 head on a B18C block

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bns773

Will a b16 head work on a b18c block. My b16 block cracked at the oil sending unit and now have to replace the block. I Just wanted to know if it would work before I buy a short block.

Yes, it will. If you mean the GSR B18C, it is sometimes refered to as the "poor mans Type R", since the ITR head and B16A head are of the same cast, however if your talking about the ITR B18C then it will still work, just the B16A head internals aren't as up to par.

Thats what I was thinking but just wanted to make sure. I can still use my B16 timing belt, water pump, etc right?

yes it will work. your compression will be lower then the b16 though. you will have like 9.8xx:1 compression. so you wont be making as much power as a stock GSR, but i dont think you will loose all that much, you will probably gain some in the long run, just kinda like a 2 steps forward one step back kinda thing. you'll get more torque with the added displacement compared to a b16, but you also have less compression and less agressive cams compared to a GSR.(this is assuming that you are puting a stock b16 head on a stock gsr block, if its built then some factors would change)

and no you cant use the b16 timing belt, you need a gsr one. not sure about the waterpump, but i would assume that most complete shortblocks would come with one already.

Damn I'll go from 10.4:1 to 9.8x:1 that doesn't seem right. Forget it then I'll just get another b16 block. Thanks for all the help

i'd definately get a gsr block if you have to buy a new block.. either that or an ls block.. now is the time to get rid of the incredibly slow b16

Originally posted by GSRCRXsi@Mar 1 2004, 12:08 PM
yes it will work. your compression will be lower then the b16 though. you will have like 9.8xx:1 compression. so you wont be making as much power as a stock GSR, but i dont think you will loose all that much, you will probably gain some in the long run, just kinda like a 2 steps forward one step back kinda thing. you'll get more torque with the added displacement compared to a b16, but you also have less compression and less agressive cams compared to a GSR.(this is assuming that you are puting a stock b16 head on a stock gsr block, if its built then some factors would change)

and no you cant use the b16 timing belt, you need a gsr one. not sure about the waterpump, but i would assume that most complete shortblocks would come with one already.

Sorry man, but I gotta call you on this one, go to C-speed, the compression ratio turns out to be 10.6:1, nothing near 9.8 :1...

Use the GSR timing belt, and waterpump, as a rule you get the same waterpump as timing belt. The GSR block is 34mm longer, so you have to use it's timing belt.

Oh, and it's definitely worth it to get a B18c bottome end, as you will be much much happier, I have this setup my self.

Ian

no you are wrong. go to c speed. b16a head, gsr block, USDM gsr pistons, OEM headgasket, b18 piston to deck height. what's that give you? 9.8xx:1.

thats saying if he uses a stock block, which he mostlikely will. you probably put in b16 pistons and b16 piston to deck height....

edit: further research shown that if you use a JDM block (hence JDM pistons) you will get 10.38x:1 compression. but if the motor is USDM then you will get 9.8xx:1. again all assuming you have stock internals....

Originally posted by Iquark@Mar 1 2004, 10:05 PM

Sorry man, but I gotta call you on this one, go to C-speed, the compression ratio turns out to be 10.6:1, nothing near 9.8 :1...

US pistons. 9.803:1 with USDM pistons.

Originally posted by Iquark+Mar 1 2004, 04:05 PM-->
@Mar 1 2004, 12:08 PM

Use the GSR timing belt, and waterpump, as a rule you get the same waterpump as timing belt. The GSR block is 34mm longer, so you have to use it's timing belt.

Oh, and it's definitely worth it to get a B18c bottome end, as you will be much much happier, I have this setup my self.

Ian

block - B18C1
head - B16A
piston - P72-A0 (USDM GSR)
head gasket - OEM 3 layer
piston to deck height - OEM B18C1

compression = 9.806767412350563

block - B18C1
head - B16A
piston - P72-00 (JDM GSR)
head gasket - OEM 3 layer
piston to deck height - OEM B18C1

compression = 10.380375041834062

Sorry didn't mean to start an argument. :eek:

I have a JDM 2nd gen b16 and I plan to use the head on a USDM b18c1 block.

no arguements :) just making things clear

the only way i got to a 10.6:1 CR was using the B16 head / JDM GSR block / 2 layer head gasket

im not too sure what combo he was using when he got that number

Ya, I know what I did now, I used the B16 piston to deck height. I don't think in USDM terms when I'm doing motor talk, because mostly people get JDM stuff.

You can get short blocks from Hmotorsonline, you'll have to call him though. I got my setup from two different motors, and that's only because we had them lying around the shop.

I would give up the .5 in compression for another .2 liters of displacement.....

go with the GSR bottom for sure............

Originally posted by JDMilan@Mar 1 2004, 06:54 PM
I would give up the .5 in compression for another .2 liters of displacement.....

go with the GSR bottom for sure............

i agree totaly!

matt

im getting the same setup, i need to replace my piston. so can i order the jdm gsr pistons and get that same compression ratio?

This will work.
BLOCK Ls block B18a or B18b
HEAD B16a

on the block use ITR pistons. using these you'll get 11:1 compression
if you use CTR pistons, you'll get close to 12:1 compression. if you do use the CTR dont mess with the cam degree cuz you can and will get piston slap. check your clearance first. by the way you can use the pistons on your b16 block and throw them on the ls block and you'll still get higher compression than the Ls pistons if your trying to save money.

on the head, get usdm type r intake camshaft with type r valve springs 8 inner and 8 outer for a total of 16.
take the stock b16a intake valve springs and put them on the exhaust side camshaft. if you wanna get a type r exhaust cam, go ahead but you'll be fine unless you want every hp you can get.

The only things you would need to buy would be:
LS/Vtec conversion kit which is about 200 bucks.

A Ls block for 100, maybe 200. Make sure you have a complete block.

If you go with the b16 pistons then no need to spend fot the type r pistons. Recommendation would be get some new piston rings since you would already be taking out the pistons IF you do this.

Usdm type r cams and usdm type r intake valve springs don't know.

with this set up, you get torque of b18 and the screaming vtec head. all engines are different meaning not everyone will get the same take hp and tq
Horse power between 170-190
torque between 120-145
all this with nothing but honda parts. Enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back