b16 head on stock ls block

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

91integra

I just recently bought the GE VTec conversion kit, VTEC solenoid, B16 head and all the other stuff i need to do the LS/Vtec build on my 91 Integra. SO my question is... I have not built the block at all yet it is still completley bone stock as can be. So I am wondering, is it even worth puttin on all the vtec stuff, and running the b16 head on the stock block, or should i just wait until i build the block. I know I should wait to build the block, but I am anxious and want LSVTEC lol, so I guess my real question is.... how bhard will I kick myslef in the ass if I put the head and everything on before i build the block... pretty hard huh?

refer to my similar build in my sig if you like.

it will still be fun if you dont build the block, i didnt and im having fun still. it all depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

hmm my sig is gone so just go here lsvtec almost done

Last edited:
You'll be pleased with it one way or another. Building it just allows you to go farther along your path to higher performance. If you are using a bone stock head, the stock bottomend should be fine. If I were you though, I'd at least invest in an oil pump from an obd2 b18 block. Oil pressure becomes a big issue for high rpms and vtec if you are only running an oil pump from an obd1 or obd0 engine.

Here's a link to a similar thread. https://hondaswap.com/integra/how-high-can-you-go-74768/

i would say just wait. your in ct like me, winter is coming. just buy the oil pump, water pump, timing belt kit. add some arp rod bolts if you plan on reving it higher then the stock 7200 rev limiter. what are you plans after n/a or turbo?

Just wait. If you were thinking about higher compression forged pistons and lightweight rods, you will definitely be kicking yourself in the ass later. You don't want to pull the engine twice, replace the head gasket twice, time everything properly twice etc. If you have the resources to go ahead and do a number of things twice, then go ahead and do it now. If it's going to be a while before you're able to build the block, do it now. If you're close, just wait.

Oh- you could always get a set of B16 pistons and throw them in on top of all the rest of the stock hardware. That's a very cheap way to get your compression up without breaking the bank.

Yeah Im in Ct and I do eventually plan on turbo, but I was thinking for now since I dont have ALL the parts or funds to build it to hold boost, I was thinking about slapping the b16 head for now, maybe the b16 pistons :) and then during the winter, saving all my money and buying another ls block and b16 head and build the hell out of that one and come this spring drop it in? i know its kind astupid to do.. but i will have 2 lsvtecs, incase something goes bad on one, i will have a back up.... oh yeah what part of Ct are you from? I just moved here from Fla and dont know anyone in the scene, is there any good meets coming up? LMK my aim is CityIconz87 thanks.. later

Yeah Im in Ct and I do eventually plan on turbo, but I was thinking for now since I dont have ALL the parts or funds to build it to hold boost, I was thinking about slapping the b16 head for now, maybe the b16 pistons :) and then during the winter, saving all my money and buying another ls block and b16 head and build the hell out of that one and come this spring drop it in? i know its kind astupid to do.. but i will have 2 lsvtecs, incase something goes bad on one, i will have a back up....

2 engines > 1 engine... Always have a spare, that's the motto I as well as many racing enthusiasts have adopted. It's not a bad thing to have a mild engine now, and build another up the way you want as the resources and timing allow. Do the vtec head on the stock bottom end w/new oil pump, and build the other one as you have the time.

Spares are great if you can afford them. If you want to build a cheapo all motor setup while you save for the other block, just run the B16 pistons until you have more cash. You could even pick up some used ITR cams for cheap and have a pretty nice setup.

cool, thats what i am going to do then i guess. where can i get the ITR cams used though? is there a website, or you mean just look around at places and look at FS posts? the only thing im weary about with this whole thing is because my motor has 204,XXX on it lol becuase its the original motor from 91 and the previous owner obviously went on a lot of road trips lol. but i checked everything over and took it to a shop and they did a full inspection and tune up, and everythings good.... but still with that many miles on it, im a little weary.. oh well if it shits out.... oh well lol then i will just have to speed up my build on the other one...

Honda-Tech always has someone trying to sell just about anything you could ever think of putting into your car, so look around there, as well as all the other forums. You can sometimes pick up some good deals on ebay, but just be careful, as a general rule when buying used items from a private party.

Back