b16 head vs. gsr head

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

wickedplastikman

i am looking to buy a b16 head and i see a lot of people selling gsr heads. ive always heard that b16 heads flow better than gsr heads but i dont know why. so my question is, whats the difference between the two heads and why is one better than the other?

they are basically the same i would recomend the gsr if turbo charging because of cam profile..but the newer the b16 head the better cam profile
92 cams are diff from 99/00 cams

if getting gsr get another intake manifold SKUNK 2 or a Type r

Cams and combustion chamber size... there's not really any difference in flow between the two in stock form.

Originally posted by Calesta@Sep 28 2004, 09:54 PM
Cams and combustion chamber size... there's not really any difference in flow between the two in stock form.
[post=395870]Quoted post[/post]​

Yip, not much of a difference in flow at all. And the shape of the chambers lends to a slight bump in compression. So if you swapped a Skunk2 manifold got a light PnP, and swapped in some CTR cams, IMO the GSR head would be better.

Wouldn't a B16 head with a PnP, and CTR/ITR cams be roughly the same as what you would find on a b18c5?

All that head is a ported b16 head with more aggressive cams.

ok... hmm sorry to hijack but whats the difference in the comb. chambers then?

The pr3 and type R heads share the same combustion chambers, with a fully round shape. The gsr heads have a more flattened shape. I'll see if I can dig a pic somewhere.

EDIT : here is a link to one of the forums I subscribe to. It has some great pics of some b16a, type R, and gsr heads. The gsr also has differently shaped ports to allow the air to flow into and out of the head with less turning. I'd suggest a gsr with a pnp and multi-angle valve job.

Head pics.

thanks guys. i am running a turbo and using a built gsr block. a guy is selling a gsr head ported and polished with skunk2 valve springs and a skunk2 im. i guess ill go ahead and buy it.

Originally posted by MikeBergy@Sep 29 2004, 01:57 AM
The pr3 and type R heads share the same combustion chambers, with a fully round shape. The gsr heads have a more flattened shape. I'll see if I can dig a pic somewhere.

EDIT : here is a link to one of the forums I subscribe to. It has some great pics of some b16a, type R, and gsr heads. The gsr also has differently shaped ports to allow the air to flow into and out of the head with less turning. I'd suggest a gsr with a pnp and multi-angle valve job.

Head pics.
[post=396116]Quoted post[/post]​

DSC01884.JPG

i noticed this earlier. look how much larger the gsr's coolant passages are. wonder if that would help at all.

Originally posted by formby@Sep 28 2004, 04:31 PM

if getting gsr get another intake manifold SKUNK 2 or a Type r
[post=395851]Quoted post[/post]​

ITR manifold does not fit on a GSR head.

I always tell kids that if the head is for a good price, and in good condition, then get it.

when your running crazy times and trying to extract every little ounce of hp/tq then you might want to pay the extra if so for the gsr head...and you can always get your pr3 head quenched..

Originally posted by JDMilan@Sep 29 2004, 11:50 PM
I always tell kids that if the head is for a good price, and in good condition, then get it.

when your running crazy times and trying to extract every little ounce of hp/tq then you might want to pay the extra if so for the gsr head...and you can always get your pr3 head quenched..
[post=396532]Quoted post[/post]​

Easier said than done :(

Lots of places won't weld the CC because of the extreme stress/heat it puts on the head and the chance of problems down the road due to it. Those that will do it, it isn't cheap.

Back