B16 Header

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

crxdxb16a

I have a CRX with a first gen B16A (Cable Trans)

I bought a header out of a cataloge at a performance shop, it said B16 / B18 race header.... Then when it came in I noticed it only had only one 02 sensor bung on it. Then last night I tried to bolt it on and noticed that the mounting bracket under the engine is way off (About 3 Inches), and it also passes right where the crossmember needs to be. I have decided to return it.

So my question is when I order a new header, which model of car should i order it for. :blink:

this is a very common problem. One option is getting a JDM Type R 4-1 header. You can find them on ebay and from hmotors.com. It should have both O2 bungs and will give you better flow.

go buy some traction bars, take teh car and new manifold to a muffler shop (or do it yourself) and have them add an O2 bung in and extend or shorten (or just move the mount on the manifold) that part that goes on teh bracket under teh motor. OR dont even worry about that bracket...

Originally posted by B16CRX@Aug 9 2005, 01:36 PM
go buy some traction bars, take teh car and new manifold to a muffler shop (or do it yourself) and have them add an O2 bung in and extend or shorten (or just move the mount on the manifold) that part that goes on teh bracket under teh motor. OR dont even worry about that bracket...
[post=537870]Quoted post[/post]​

I am going to keep this header and add a 02 bung, cut off the lower mount, and make a custom crossmember. A lot of work, but it'll be worth it. :)

hey i just put a set of megan headers in my crx. yeah dont flame me they were free :p. anyways your gonna have to notch the cross member no matter what. mine only had one o2 sensor port also. I took one of my two sensors and put in it the headers. then i tapped the wire to the missing o2 sensor to the one i put in the header. no cell, runns good, sounds alittle wierd..... but thats a 4-1 for ya

i also have a megan 4-1 in my 90 hatch with a b16... i notched the crossmemeber which isnt really that bad and also just spliced the 2 O2 sensor wires into 1 and has been running just fine ( i check the plugs and what not regularly)

I compared it to my friends DC 4-2-1 header and i think mine looked just as good if not better (construction wise)

there is some pics of the notching i had to do in the thread linked to my car in my sig if you want to check it out....

I was considering notching out the crossmember but figured that it may lose all of its strength, but I might try that if others have done it and it works well. I thought about wiring the 02 sensors together too but figured that it may throw a check engine light.

I'll check tonight to see how much I would have to cut off to do it that way. :)

if you wire the O2 sensors together it WILL NOT run right. It will seem to run right sometimes, but every once in a while you WILL notice the car sputtering and bogging down. Do it once, do it right.

I have also been contemplating making my own crossmember. Let me know how that goes for you. :)

If you notch the cross member make sure to reinforce it with steel plates on the top and bottom. dont just cut it and call it good. like that guy said do it right the first time. as for the o2 sensor, your on crack i have never thrown a CEL for my o2 anything.

neither have i but i didnt throw a code when i drove it around open header no o2 sensors at all for like 2 days

It does sputter sometimes when its not warmed up but only at low rpms and i dont have time to get another bung welded in somewhere. so it works just fine with a minor inconvienence sometimes

Originally posted by drpenguin@Aug 12 2005, 03:36 AM
If you notch the cross member make sure to reinforce it with steel plates on the top and bottom. dont just cut it and call it good. like that guy said do it right the first time. as for the o2 sensor, your on crack i have never thrown a CEL for my o2 anything.
[post=539170]Quoted post[/post]​

It doesnt throw a CEL. The car just runs like shit when it decides to. beleive it. I ran with no O2 sensors and just one O2 for a time and it ran like ass every once in a while. They way I fixed it, was to cut the car off and let it sit for a couple seconds, and start it back up and I'd be good until I had to start the car again. Now, with both O2's hooked up it NEVER bogs. This is a VERY common problem.

I figured that it would throw a check engine light because there are error codes for defective 02 sensors, unplugged 02 sensors, delayed signal from 02 sensors......

Last night cut the lower mount off of the header becuase that didnt line up and it touched the oil pan. I also notched the stock crossmember out, and welded a thick plate where I cut it to renforce it.

As for the 02 sensors I plan on taking it to the muffler shop so that they can weld on two bungs, one on each pipe under the car before it connects to the cat.

Originally posted by B16CRX+Aug 12 2005, 09:07 AM-->
drpenguin
@Aug 12 2005, 03:36 AM
[post=539170]Quoted post[/post]​

It doesnt throw a CEL. The car just runs like shit when it decides to. beleive it. I ran with no O2 sensors and just one O2 for a time and it ran like ass every once in a while. They way I fixed it, was to cut the car off and let it sit for a couple seconds, and start it back up and I'd be good until I had to start the car again. Now, with both O2's hooked up it NEVER bogs. This is a VERY common problem.
[post=539199]Quoted post[/post]​

werd...but for some its worse than others. Like it rarely ever bogs at all for me (knock on wood so i dont have to get my lazy ass to fix this)

Back