b16 help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Hey guys i finally got my b16 today, was shipped to my mechanics garage, so i went over and took a look. Everything looks awesome, i'm very impresses and arrived on time.....i got it from HMO. Anyway my mechanic only really works on american cars, and hasn't delt with vtec before. So he is totally lost on that aspect and i have to do it. I know i have to take off the jdm wiring harness and use mine from my 91 integra. I also know i have to cut off the connectors for the vtec wires. However i'm a little shady on the vtec stuff myself. How many plugs are there for the vtec?? I know there are 4 wires i have to put into the ecu, but how many connectors are there? also where are they?? i know i saw a couple extra connectors right next to the dist., but i just wanted to make sure those were it. And one of the connectors was pulled out and the wire cut off, what do i do?? I guess my biggest question is how do i find out which connectors and wires are the ones that i need or are the vtec i should say? i need the vtec solenoid, pressure switch, knock sensor, and o2 sensor.......are they all in the same place? And also, all those wires need to go into one of the connectors on the 91 teg harness to go into the ecu correcT? thanks guys.....

i just did a b16a in my 92 integra the vtec insnt hooked up yet do to ecu problems. but i can help.first off im pretty sure every thing is the same from the 91 to the 92.someone correct me if im wrong. you need an obd1 92 thru 95 gsr or b16a ecu make sure the ecu plugs into the harness where th ls one did.thats the problem i had so im still waitin to get the right ecu.on my motor right next to the distributor is where ever thing is located.there is the green plug with two prongs this is the oil pressure switch. one prong is for a ground it doesnt matter wich one top or bottom, just ground it out some where.the other connect a wire to it then run the wire right through the fire wall to ecu pin out D6.then there is a milky witeish clip next to that one with only one wire going into it not sure if it a male or female i never looked but it doesnt matter.thats the vtec solenoid connect a wire to it run the wire to the ecu pin out A4.last is the knock sensor on the back of the block under the intake manifold.now here is a problem first it would probably be eaiser to connect a wire to that before the motor is in.i have know clue how im gonna get to mine. the only problem that im having is how do i hook a wire to the knock sensor when its already got a plug in it?but dont fear ill answer that question
tommorow. the guy who told me how to wire mine told me eveything i just told you and he does these motor swaps everyday so he knows what hes doin i just didnt think to ask about the knock sensor till after i left his house.but hes just a phone call away so ill call him and find out exactly what to do and let you know.
but if you figure it out the knock sensor plugs into D3 on the ecu.as far as the ecu pinouts go i found a site that gives a color picture of the ecu and tells you exactly what pin it what.i just have to find the site again and ill let you know the name.till then holla. B) :blink:

also you should not need to hook up the 02 sensor it should already be and your probably gonna have to swap the distributor from the ls to the b16 wich requires alittle bit of cutting

negative the 91 is obd 0, the 92 is obd 1, disregard everything the guy up top told you.

you pretty much have the easiest swap, the motor is going to bolt right in, then

on the left hand top of the motor next to the distributor you are going to see two plugs, one plug is green and has two wires coming out of it, that is your oil pressure switch you need to extend the black wire on this and ground it

the second wire is going to go to the ecu, you need to extend this wire about 3 feet and put a little piece of tape and lable it "oil"

then next to that plug there is going to be a square plug with only one wire coming out, extend this about 3 feet and put a lable on this that says "vtec", this is your vtec switch

on the back of the motor, just below the #2 intake runner,(honda motors are numbered right to left, in example 4, 3, 2, 1) you will find the knock sensor, extend this wire about 3 feet and lable it "knock"

then your last wire is on the exaust manifold this is going to be your secondary o2 sensor, not the one that has the circle plug, but it should be a green square i believe, you need to extend this wire about 3 feet and lable it "o2"

now you need to go to your ecu

the ecu plugs are numbered as such

TOP of ECU(looking in the direction of the wires going in)
A plug B plug C plug
1 3 5 7 etc. . . . 1 3 5 7 etc. . . . 1 2 5 7 etc. . .
2 4 6 8 etc. . . . 2 4 6 8 2 4 6 8

Now hopefully with the ecu they gave you there will be some cut of plugs
you need to de-pin 4 wires from these

1 wire from the A plug
and 3 wires from the b or c plug (doesnt matter)

the first wire from the A plug you are going to connect to the extended wire labled Vtec

then connect the 3 remaining wires to the other three extended wires

run all 4 of those wires through the firewall to your ecu, and then plug them in to the following open sockets on your ecu

vtec A8
oil switch B5
knock B19
O2 C8
plug in your old B18 harness,(the one that was in your car) and everything will be done

Back