b16 idle problems?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

nels450

hey, just finished doin a swap.. haave a 96 ex that had the d16y8 and jsut dropped in a b16 out of a 99 si. the whole swap went smooth( thanks to the help of this site) but now i have a little bit of idle problems. i have searched and done some of the solutions i found, cleaned iacv, checked the themal valve (what ever its called). the car once warm will surge form between 800 to like 1200 like only 5 times then it drops down to around 750-800 and will idle their perfectly until you drive the car again. i checked the timing and i am dead on. could it be the tps?

retorque the intake manifold bolts after running it? Mine needed that.

Got a gasket on every sensor along the intake from the throttle and down? Even on the tps? Replace the rubber seal for the iacv?

make sure the tps is at .5v closed throttle.

bleed alllll the air out of the coolant and be sure that it's gone. that will screw the fitv up when warm.

thanks much. between retorqing the intake and bleeding the air out of the coolant (again, 5th time) it went away. now i got a stupid question.. i converted the car to obd1... you can pull the codes the same way you would on a obd 1 car right? Rigt now i have no check engine light, but just want to know for sure

yes you can. i converted my obd2 to obd1 as well, it's cool. if you didn't wire the check engine light to the ecu for some reason, or it's not connected, w/e, you can put a multimeter in pin A13 (of the ecu connector, not the obd2 harness connectors) to check for voltage 'flashes' as if the light were coming on. or wire in an led off that pin and ground.

glad you got it working so far though. g'luck!

hey back to the ecu subject, i got everything to work for the check engine light, had a a bad cluster...printed circuit board was messed up. so now i went to check my codes and the c.e.l. just stays on when i jump the terminal lke you would in an obd 1 car. i went to the a13 porty and same thing? its a ecu from phearable. net the car runs fine their was no check engine light on but their should be cuz i got an o2 sensor thats busted...

yeah, your tps is messing up check it first by using a volt meter and see if is getting .5 volts at a closed idle,if not change tps..

Back