b16. idles at 2.5k and timing retarded all the way

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

blasterman87

my swaps running, but barely its idling at 2.5k and the dizzy is all the way clockwise to make it run... the timing belt is in time, cam gears arrows pointing towards each other and cranks in time also... i have the coolant lines for the intake looped back into the block instead of going through the intake, do i need to block off the intake nipples also? im lost with this thing...

Timing retarded all the way? Not good. Did you jump the service connector before doing the timing adjustments?
Skip all that and just put it back. There's a flat head screw on the throttle body to adjust that...but this sounds weird.

What has been done? Swapped into? Motor? Car? ECU? Not even enough information given.

it has gsr cams,pr3ecu,all obdo,everything else is stock and its in a 89si. if i set the timing back any it wont start, and with #1 piston at tdc the rotors right at #1 plug wire with it timed this way

I tell people to try this all the time. Its quick and easy.

Take spark plug out of #1 out.
Gently place a long screw driver in the hole until it rest on the piston
Turn the Crank until the screw driver is at its highest point (that's TDC for JUST the piston)
Now look at your cam gears to see what they they say.
This will tell you how the top is in sync with the bottom.
(Example: if timing belt was installed wrong)

Something stupid.....but are you double sure the spark plugs are going to the correct spot on the dizzy?

"UP" should be at noon and the hash marks should be next to each other on the inside
Hope this is it and its just an adjustment.

up is the arrows right? if so then its way off because the arrows are facing each other, alligned with the top of the head, --> <-- like that

Damn...look into it more. I have a JDM B16A Gen2 (OBD1) and it says "UP" on the spoke of the gear
Does the gears have hash marks too? They look like some took a screwdriver and punched a straight little
line into the edge of the cam gear. the exhaust is at 3 o'clock and the intake is at 9 o'clock

If you cant find out then let me know and Take a good picture. I have a helms for Integra B18C1
on a thumbdrive and i will look into it for you.

I found in the helms. It says "UP" but its inside an arrow that points...UP! So you're 90 degrees out...I think.
Try to loosing the tensioner...barely remove belt so cam gears can get lined up (need to rotate slightly so
when tensioner is taunt...gears sit where they should (arrows up). Put timing back to normal, rese tthe ECU and see what happens

You say your coolant lines are routed into the block unstead of your manifold? That would bypass your iacv right? I know iacv's don't like air bubbles in the coolant from experience.. If you don't have any coolant runnin through the iacv it probably will not function correctly.. Just a thought.. (i experienced the same symptoms with my 99 ex with a b16.. ) try to hook them back up and see what happens.. I would think that if you cams are out of time the engine wouldn't run right?.. Or run like crap.. I'm not completely positive though..

You say your coolant lines are routed into the block unstead of your manifold? That would bypass your iacv right? I know iacv's don't like air bubbles in the coolant from experience.. If you don't have any coolant runnin through the iacv it probably will not function correctly.. Just a thought.. (i experienced the same symptoms with my 99 ex with a b16.. ) try to hook them back up and see what happens.. I would think that if you cams are out of time the engine wouldn't run right?.. Or run like crap.. I'm not completely positive though..

the coolant line trick is to help get cooler air. they route the coolant through uit for cold start enviroment. that shouldnt hurt any thing. if anything it will idle a little high untill it warms up. i0 have done it before to my prelude. but it really doesnt make that much of a differance.

ok thanks alot guys, now what do i cross over to reset the ecu? and if my cams are that far out wouldnt my valves be hitting my pistons? i dont want to move them and f*ck something up..

You're way off with the timing of the sprockets. Double check with the screw driver trick to get the PISTON at TDC. Loosing the tensioner so you can slip the belt off the cam gears. Move the cam gears to where the up arrows are roughly at 11:30 (for the hour hand not minute hand....duh!). This way when you tighten up the tensioner....the cams will move to noon and your hash marks on the inside of the two cams will line up.

I tried to get the picture off the helm's zip drive to photobucket so I could show you but couldn't figure it out (I'm not Mr. Technological lol) You will have arrows with "UP" written on them. They need to be a noon when everything is tight. You will also have two hash marks on each cam gear edge. These marks should be at 3 and 9 on the hour hand. (- -)(- -)

I found a picture of Toda adjustable cam gears (but the cool thing is you can see the has marks at 3 and 9!! Check out the link

B18c timing belt installation image by ef92b on Photobucket

well guys i went to the garage today and double checked the timing and its spot on with the cams, arrows pointing at 12 and hash marks lined up... whats next?

You said it was off earlier....so what changed? Did you make sure the piston was at TDC?

i thaught it was off, what changed is i went and looked, my cars 20 min away from my house, at my dads garage. so i remembered wrong.. could the gsr cams mean i need to have the arrows pointing a little bofore/after 12 instead of dead on?

No....the cam difference doesn't matter in those terms.

Shit..check the IACV. Take it off and check to see if it needs cleaning.

Not sure if I asked yet but are you sure the bulb for your check engine light works?
Maybe try another ECU? Maybe the distributor was put on 180 degrees out? Shit ...I don't know.

the bulb works, cuz its on lol and the dizzy is on right because when i first tried to start it all it did was backfire so i took off the dizzy and flipped it over, bingo started up but now idles at 2.5k...

Back