B16 Intermediate Shafts

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jmr302

I bought my '91 EF HB with what I was told was a '91 JDM SiR B16 & trans. The intermediate shaft has female splines and I think it's the JDM shaft, but I'm not positive.

My question is, as long as you have CV-shafts and trans seals that match the intermediate shaft will any of the three B16 intermediate shafts bolt up to any B16 block and trans? Or are they specific to the transmission?

I haven't been able to verify what my transmission is because I can't find the tag or stamp. I thought they were supposed to be marked on the bellhousing on the front right about where it bolts to the engine. The engine is stamped B16A right across from there but there's nothing on the trans there or anywhere that I can find.

i'm pretty sure you need 90-93 integra axles.. and as far as knowing what tranny it is.. put it in the car and drive it.. do 80mph in 5th gear and it should sit somewhere near 4400 rpm

i'm pretty sure you need 90-93 integra axles.. and as far as knowing what tranny it is.. put it in the car and drive it.. do 80mph in 5th gear and it should sit somewhere near 4400 rpm

It's my understanding that there are basically 3 variations on intermediate shafts and CV's:

1) '90-'93 Integra which has female splines on the intermediate shaft.
2) JDM intemediate shaft which is similar to #1 but the i-shaft is about 1" different in length.
3) '94-'01 Acura setup that has male splines on the intermediate shaft.

The car's not driveable at the moment but it used to indicate 4600 rpm at 75 mph in 5th gear. The speedo is dead-on accurate. I've paced 2 different cars on the highway to verify. Either the tach is way off (it's a DX gage cluster) or the final drive in this particular trans is in the high 4:1 range.

umm.. tach must be off.. not even the jdm ITR tranny sits that high at 75mph

take out sir shaft HASport says you need crx si outer joints and 86-89 teg inner joints. But a 90-93 teg shaft and use 90-93 teg axles remember to remove dust seals on hub to fit properly. GOOD LUCK!;)

Back