B16 Into 5gen Civic/ 1stgen Or 2nd Gen Motor?help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Gooseguir

I've decided to put a b16 into my 5th gen civic. I was going to go with the first gen motor but I've heard it's too much of a hassle, does anyone know why it's so much harder to do a first gen than a second gen? Please be as specific as possible. I'd also like to talk to anyone who has actually done a b16 swap into a 5thgen civic. Thanks all help will be appreciated.

just get the SiR-II

the 1st gen B16 will cost you more in the end to get everything in and working and you still wont have as much power as the 2nd gen B16

Originally posted by Gooseguir@Jun 22 2003, 10:56 PM
I've decided to put a b16 into my 5th gen civic. I was going to go with the first gen motor but I've heard it's too much of a hassle, does anyone know why it's so much harder to do a first gen than a second gen? Please be as specific as possible. I'd also like to talk to anyone who has actually done a b16 swap into a 5thgen civic. Thanks all help will be appreciated.

it's not harder...it's just more of a headache because the first gen motor is obd-0 and your car is obd-1...meaning your car wouldn't run right and to get it to run right you would have to get a distributor from an obd-1 b16 or b18c motor...just stick with your obd year and you'll be good to go...go to the reference section if i didn't answer all your questions

I have put a b16 SIR II into my civic EX 93'. It bolted right in. and wiring wasn't hard at all cause you just have to check the knock sensor and Vtec Wires to make sure that they all come out in the right place on the ECU. The OBD 0 will be a bitch to wire and like everyone said. IT WON'T BE AS FAST! SIR II is definetly the way to go.

Darin

Thanks for the info, I decided to get the b16 sir2, I figured out which axels and shift linkage to get but I was wondering what motor mounts you used? I know I can get a hasport kit but those things are 500 bucks, are there any other options I could go with? Thanks.

Originally posted by Gooseguir@Jun 22 2003, 11:42 PM
Thanks for the info, I decided to get the b16 sir2, I figured out which axels and shift linkage to get but I was wondering what motor mounts you used? I know I can get a hasport kit but those things are 500 bucks, are there any other options I could go with? Thanks.

you could use your stock mounts...the way i would go tho is to use stock GSR mounts...they are pretty beefy

Hey man,

I have a wire harness for OBD1 to OBD0 all you need is to find a tranny that is Hydor.

Here I will link a picture. Its up to you on what u wan.. <_< <_<

IMG_0006.jpg

Originally posted by Gooseguir@Jun 23 2003, 12:42 AM

get a full swap from hmotorsonline.com
it will come with the propper axles, linkage, ECU,

what model civic do you have?

you can either get a USDM engine harness for it ... or you will have to modify yours to work
lengthen a few wires and wire it up for a 4 wire O2 sensor (you have a 1 wire now)

:werd: Get the OBD I B16A from Hmotorsonline.com, and use stock parts. no need to buy aftermarket mounts, modify your wiring harness, and call it a day :)

the 1st gen B16 will cost you more in the end to get everything in and working

not always true.
and you still wont have as much power as the 2nd gen B16

true. 10 hp difference. .2 CR difference, and the valve springs are different.

deep pockets and a trip to the junkyard would have solved all your OBD-0 engine woes. You need:
4wire O2 sensor, obd1 injectors, firewall mounted MAP & solenoid assembly, obd1 b-series thermostat cover w/temp sensor, EG/DC block-mounted bracket (for drivers' mount), and an OBD-1 Bseries distributor

You can go get all this stuff from the pick-a-part for the $3 admission charge. :D Except for the distributor. I bought an LS one off eBay for $40, modified it to fit, then sold the B16 obd-0 unit for $90.

Oh, and a chipped P28 ECU, which was no problem since I was putting it in a 93 EX and already had one.

Saved a shitload of money by converting the obd-0 to obd-1.
more info here
Net cost of the entire swap is now at about $200, after selling old parts.

dont' go with the first gen, they are really really old, most of them have been just collecting dust in japan for like 5-10 years, why make it more difficult for yourself. Yes you can get it to work and yes you can put a v8 into a honda, you can do just about anything. I did the first gen, and I ended up taking it out after 4 months. The new SiR2 ran better, looked cleaner, and was a true performer in the end. Fuck piecing parts together to get a swap to work, get the one for your ride, period.

Milan

Ok, SIR1 is out of the question. I plan on getting the SIR2. Does anyone have a wire diagram that tells me exactly which wires i need to modify to get the jdm sir2 into my cx?

Back