B16 not cranking

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

RIT Civic

Ok I put a B16A1 in my 94 civic coupe...it was running really well for 1 week straight. Then, all of a sudden the car started to bog out at any rpm...when i tried to give it gas it would not rev...it would bog out more...then my starter went out and I could not even crank it over. I had to push start it and when i did i t would bog out and I could not drive it...sometimes it would come back to normal idle but when you tried to give it gas to drive away it would sputter then bog out. Today I got my starter new. They fully tested it before I left and works fine. I changed the cap and rotor and put an after market coil with msd cap. Also changed the plugs and wires. I am getting fuel and pulse. I did a cel check and no check engine...but my car won't turn over at all...it will not crank...battery is good...anyone know what this could be?

Dammit...I checked wiring fuses...all that good stuff and ran open headers...i had to push start it and its still boggin out and dying...and you can smell a whole lot of fuel...anyone else pleaseeeeeeee...someone might know something i have not tried yet

have you checked the map sensor? My friends si had a problem that it came un hooked and it made the car run like ass. so bad he almost got beat by a non-turbo 2g eclipse

the map is good and connected...the key ignition is good...it can't be the ignition because i can push start it since I am still having problems with the starter but when i do push start it bog's at idle with a 0 rpm and then after a few seconds it dies out

the map is good and connected...the key ignition is good...it can't be the ignition because i can push start it since I am still having problems with the starter but when i do push start it bog's at idle with a 0 rpm and then after a few seconds it dies ou

did you hook up your vacuum hoses right? it sounds like the map sensor to me....

did you check all your grounds? it never hurts to check them...i've spent hours troubleshooting, only to have it end up being a loose ground.

yeah i checked all the grounds...it's not the map because i can push start it...the map would cause it to idle ruff not make it bog and shut off and then it smells like nothing but fuel (at least thats what I think)...anything else...people send me some good stuff to troubleshoot for tomorrow morning please....

Okguys as we speak the starter is getting replaced. I discovered something funny. Last night I pushed started the car again and it bogged and died out as usual butttt before it did you can smell pure gas fumes coming out of the exhaust and the car made a big fireball pop. Now this morning i go to take the starter out and I realized that exhaust chamber number one (only number 1) was black. So I take the headers off and look at every other chamber or ports or whatever you call it and all of them are spick and span clean (nice porting job by the way...lol) but there is like a ring of black stuff around number 1. I looked at it closely to see if it was dryed up oil but it wasn't. It looks more like spray paint. Do you think its gas mixed up with dirt? Do you think there is a clog in the headers and thats why it bogs out? I have a cat that was fully ripped out of everything 5 months ago...it has nothing inside...is it possible that it could of clogged back up even if there is nothing there to make it clog up like that honey comb stuff? That black dtuff on it is not an oil leak because there would be oil in the port and its nice and clean....i have not started it yet because open headers to check because i am waiting for a starter and i can't push start it alone because my drive way is going in downhill...let me know what you guys think please

HEY I FINALLY FIGURED IT OUT...the starter has no good ground...i fixed that...the car now turns over...but it won't crank and thats because my DISTRIBUTOR WENT BAD...hahahaha...thanks guys for all the help and support...now does anyone have an OBD-1 GSR DISTRIBUTOR???

hehe yea i was gonna say either the distro went bad or the timing was off. just 3 days ago my car did the same thing cept it would run and bog, backfire when i gunned it. come to find out that the distro had somehow moving forward causing for a pretty big advancement in timing. just moved it back and it ran fine.

Back