b16 on d16

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

paul1278

im new to the honda thing ... have a 99 civic ex d16y8 but i have an available b16 99 civic head ... can i put the b16 head on the d16 block all else would be available ... i can get the computers etc for free so will it be possible to just combine the head and block

No, you can't put a B series head on a D series block, primarily because the B series is DOHC and the D series is SOHC. So again, NO.

thanks ... outside of a complete motor is there anything i can do with stock honda parts ... i have them available free

You can get a number of different OEM Honda pistons that will raise the compression of your Y8. This would be a cheap and effective setup for all motor. D16A6 pistons will give you a compresson ratio of around 10.6:1 and ZC pistons will give you around 12.6:1. These numbers would give you a good street engine when coupled with a zex cam and some headwork.

boost your sohc, and save the time money and aggravation (not to mention inital dissapointment of the fact that you spent thousands of dollars and still only run mid 15's) of getting a "b" series swap.

obd2 civics, greddy has come out with a new turbo kit, JUST came out.
www.optionsautosalon.com.

still pending carb certification. i BELIEVE (correct me if im wrong) it is a 17g? mitsu turbo. only diff between the 17g and 15g kit is that the 17g kit comes with an extension for the o2 sensor, instructions for the obd2 wiring of the blue box to your ecu. All piping and what not will fit better with the 17g kit than it will with the 15g kit.

The other diff. is that the 17g kit produces around 10 more hp (bigger turbo, more cfm's blah blah blah)

if you dont care about smog and want to save urself a few bucks, get the 15g kit.
can run up to 15psi on it before it craps out in power.

i got the same setup and im running high 14's. 10-12 psi, little tuning and i should see high 13's all day long.

best of all, if you blow ur engine (which unless you are completely negligent in the maintenance and care of your turbo and or car) it will be less expensive to replace than a b or h series.

properly taken care of, it should long outlast your interest in import performance.

best of all, you can tell guys you just spent thousands of dollars less than they did, and they just got smoked by a sohc. :lol:

i still crack up at the look on guys faces when i tell them that they just got owned by a sohc....

Originally posted by Tonyd0821@Sep 1 2003, 09:10 PM
best of all, you can tell guys you just spent thousands of dollars less than they did, and they just got smoked by a sohc. :lol:

If that isn't an exaggeration, I don't know what is, come on man THOUSANDS???, what do you think the Greedy kits are free? No, they aren't actually they cost about the same as a B and once you have tapped the D series (without having to spends hundreds more to build it), you have plenty of room left for improvment on the B.

Originally posted by 92b16vx+Sep 1 2003, 12:45 PM-->
Tonyd0821
@Sep 1 2003, 09:10 PM

If that isn't an exaggeration, I don't know what is, come on man THOUSANDS???, what do you think the Greedy kits are free? No, they aren't actually they cost about the same as a B and once you have tapped the D series (without having to spends hundreds more to build it), you have plenty of room left for improvment on the B.

:werd:

Originally posted by 92b16vx+Sep 1 2003, 03:45 PM-->
Tonyd0821
@Sep 1 2003, 09:10 PM

ok, so i was exaggeratting (sp?) a tad.

im not going to get into a debate with you over "d" vs. "b" series
we both know the arguments for each side...
so nothing new will be learned.

BUT

buck for buck, if he JUST puts the greddy kit on, it more than likely, will beat a b16 swap in a similar car.

the torque is something like 160 on the greddy.

alls im saying is that from the people i have talked to, they are NOT happy with their b16 swaps when they get them back due to the fact that they thought it would make them faster than what they are...

but, YES, the b16 does have more potential.

Back