B16 or B20 or rebuild?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

teg2g

I have a 1990 Integra and am having a hard time choosing what I want to do.
I am liking the b20 because of the torque, it has potential.
I am also liking the b16 because of the hp increase. I was also thinking about buying the b16 because I can then use the tranny and head with my LS block. or I can get the b20 and vtec it. give me some suggestions. I am also open to rebuilding my LS block.

Don't get me wrong the tq of the b20 is nice, but it would also be nice to have a k20a :). What is your goal with this car? Where will you be driving it? How much power do you want to put down? That will help you decide what you should do for work

Money is scarce. Aiming for highest hp I can get with my money. But once I get more money, I want to go higher hp. like I was thinking, b20, build it, sleeve it and then turbo it. And if I can, v-tec head. way down the road I want like 250hp-300hp just looking for the best way to get there, and get myself started.

why not just rebuild your LS block and boost it? I mean your going to spend between 500-1600 just for another motor, With that money you can have your whole motor built.
I just did a rebiuld on my LS block put it all back to stock specs and it only cost about $380. That with all new rings a new piston all new seals and gaskets. And with my greddy turbo running a uberdata ecm i'm right in the power range your looking for.

b20, build it, sleeve it and then turbo it

why not just rebuild your LS block and boost it?

both great ideas but if your on a budget do the ls since you have it. and if you dont liek where its taking you sell the rebuilt block and buy a new one.

If you plan on resleeving a b20 block to boost it, like he said your best bet would to be just build your engine you have now. Unless you find a LS or CRV block for next to nothing, your going to save a lot of money. There pretty much the same engines anyways with the exception of the bigger bore of the b20 and a few other minor things. Have fun and do it right the first time. :thumbsup:

Oh yea, but get rid of that shitty LS tranny. :p

Either -
1) rebuild your LS with some forged internals and cams + get VTEC tranny
2) rebuild your LS and add the VTEC head
3) Do a B20 Vtec

Stay away from the B16. It's a guttless wonder. The straight B20 swap is decent, but not worth the money IMO. You gotta have the VTEC head on it to do any good.

Personally, I'd rebuild your LS and get a new tranny. The LS is a horriblly under-rated motor. Just make sure you do some good headwork to get that head flowing better.

Back