1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B16 or b20

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by Kolumbo69, Apr 2, 2004.

1. Kolumbo69

Kolumbo69 Senior Member

Okany no this isnt the normal b16 b20 discusion, but it is in a way. If anyone has been reading on honda tech some guy put togather a 85mm pistons kit for the b16 to use with ls rods and a ls crank which is supposed to put out some awsome numbers. My question is well i have both engines as i was going to do a crvtec in to my rex, which engine do you think is better a stock b20vtec with itr cams or a bored out b16 with 85 mm forged pistons sleeved running 11.5:1 with balanced shot peened bottom end. Money for them isnt an issue cause the b20 was already getting ready to go so i could always sell it to get the kit for the b16 and i already have the itr cams. ??????? Thanx guys

2. NotUrAverage_Si

NotUrAverage_Si Senior Member

why not just have th b20 bored out to 85 or 86mm, forged piston, rods and all the other stuff you were gonna do to the b16?

3. Kolumbo69

Kolumbo69 Senior Member

Well the only way i would get the b16 done that way is if i sell the b20 and use the money from that sale and the money i have saved for the vtec oil line kit for it. I was just pretty much wondering if it would be a more reliable powerful setup with the b16.

4. Kolumbo69

Kolumbo69 Senior Member

bump..anyone have any thoughts

5. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

a b16 to 85mm = why bother?
    you still have the short deck.

if you're going to sleeve it- just get a gsr or itr block to start with

6. Kolumbo69

Kolumbo69 Senior Member

Clicky If you go to the link thats why it sounds so interesting as a build they made 230whp with it and cams headers and such. Which i think is awsome for a b16 that and it will fit alot easier into rex plus i open up the hood it'll say b16, but it will out preform anything else out there and it will cost me about the same as my b20 build which would have been pretty much stock. Thats all i was thinking.

7. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

ok... but there's no way that works.

stock LS crank and stock LS rods will send your pistons through your head about 9mm through your head. the b16 deck height is 172.5mm. the ls/gsr/b20 is 181.
    you do the math. and if you take 9mm off the piston and move the wrist pin, there's just no skirt left. where are you going to run your rings?

i'll sit back and laugh when his next post is "Help! pistons came out valve cover"

8. Import Builders

Import Builders Senior Member

lok bro, check it out Kolombo69

The solution is simple.

take a look at yourself. Now if your building a motor, so you can go fast and pop the hood and brag about how your 1.6 liter B16A can smoke people, and you like the status of impressing other people, buy the stroker kit from tech43, I love that guy.

If you don't give a hoot about that people think about what your running, and just want to go fast..and you are out to race for yourself and noone else, don't buy the stroker kit, get an LS block, and do that, or a CRV block.

The .707 pin is not a problem, as some people said on there, for all motor its like WAY strong enough, and it even works for boost too, proven.

tech43 is a guy I would personally deal with, so if you like the kit, call him up and buy it, its decent.

Myself, I would just run whatever I want, pop the hood and go
    "yeah, its an H23 VTEC with Type-S pistons, and here is the dyno chart, no secrets"

Jeff

9. Bl6CRX

Bl6CRX Senior Member

a sign of a very confident builder and driver

10. Kolumbo69

Kolumbo69 Senior Member

Thanks jeff i was actually going to ask you about it last night to see if it was a good idea. I think ill go with the b16 and dump the b20 cause then i can use the money saved for the golden eagle line kit and such can be used on boring sleeving and buying that. :thumbsup:

11. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

Yup. Dump the B16. Go with something you don't have to spend $2000 just to get more displacement out of..

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted