B16 oxygen sensor question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Hey guys, I'm a newbie to this site so I'll do a formal intro later, I just need some help first. I got a 96 civic dx that I just finished up swapping a JDM B16 into. Everything runs great after working out the little bugs, but I have an idle problem. The car is jumping only at idle from 1000 to 1500 rpm, and I can frequently smell gas and on a full tank I only got 280mi before safely needing to fill up. I know the TPS sensor usually is broken in shipping, as mine was, and I already have one on the way. But I was thinking today about the oxygen sensor.

Now besides shows and stuff, I've never seen a B16 motor sitting in front of me to compare mine to. I noticed on mine that the oxygen sensor is right before the cat, but that's the only one the motor had. The engine came from a 2000 EK4 (I bought the whole front clip) and it had 34,000KM. I know Japans laws on emission are way easier than ours, so I wasn't sure if the JDM motor was supposed to have 2 oxygen sensors or not. I'm not using a cat (sorry earth!) so I don't have a spot for a second one, because the DX model had the cat integrated into the header so both sensors were pretty much on the same pipe.

So do JDM's have 2 sensors, and maybe that is my problem? If not, hopefully a new TPS will do the trick.

Thanks guys, and I'll come back with some pictures when I get rid of this stress!

Mine has one, but it is a 93. Seems the 96+ should have two, but if you didn't find one, then maybe something is awry. Are you throwing a CEL? Did you have the cat from the JDM one? and if so, did it have the second o2?

I'm not throwing a CEL, and I don't have a cat, just a straight pipe because my model originally was a dx and the cat was integrated into the header. The o2 sensor I do have is right before the cat at the end of the exhaust pipe, but I've seen pics of older B16's that had their sensor right on the header.

you should have an O2 sensor at the collector on your header and where your cat would be. But I think that your engine should run fine with just one. Your problem is prob your TPS sensor Throttle position ya know.

motors dont' throw codes. ECU's do.

what ecu are you runnign on the swap?

Okay, I replaced the TPS sensor because mine had physical damage from shipping, but it didn't fix the problem. I don't have a spot on the header for an 02 sensor, but the primary is right at the end of the pipe before the cat. I didn't get a cat in this swap, but I did get the original uncut harness which I used, I just had to extend it. I don't remember seeing an additional plug on the harness for a 2nd 02 sensor. I came up with only one plug that didn't go anywhere, because I believe it is for the power steering which I chose not to use. The computer, and everything really, is all from the same car- just a JDM 2000 EK4 civic.

A second 02 sensor is built on all USDM motors 96+, but the reason for the question is do JDM's have it? Because their emissions are much different, I would say that it might not be required in Japan. Regardless of if I have a 2nd 02 sensor or not, I've learned that it only monitors the cat, not control the air/fuel ratio as the primary 02 does, so it wouldn't really be the idle problem. I'm just making sure that I didn't get the wrong (older) engine from what I actually paid for.

So to wrap it up, my idle still jumps from 1000 to 1500 rpm repeatedly, and I still need to know if a JDM's (at least 96-00 civics) have a second 02 sensor (OBD-II)

Thanks.

Back