B16 Questions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

YangpaNemsay

I'm planning a B16 SiR II swap. I'm making a list of a few mild mods I want to make to engine before I swap it in and need some advice. I listed CTR Camshafts as one of the mods.

1. With this mod would I need to upgrade the valves or springs?
2. Would it be ok to run stock rods?
3. If I were to do an engine rebuild on the B16 SiR II, will I be able to use complete rebuild parts meant for the B16A2?
4. Will I be able to use AEM Cam sprockets designed for the b16a2 on the b16 SiR II?
5. Also, what makes the B16 SiR II motor push out 10hp+ over a B16A2?

1. With this mod would I need to upgrade the valves or springs?
2. Would it be ok to run stock rods?
3. If I were to do an engine rebuild on the B16 SiR II, will I be able to use complete rebuild parts meant for the B16A2?
4. Will I be able to use AEM Cam sprockets designed for the b16a2 on the b16 SiR II?
5. Also, what makes the B16 SiR II motor push out 10hp+ over a B16A2?

1. you should just need the springs and retainers to be on the safe side
2. yes, you really don't need to upgrade the rods unless you're going FI
3. Pretty much everything is interchangable between B series, so yes.
4. I don't see why not, but don't quote me on that.
5. I'm not sure, different head design? I'm thinking the pistons are domed? don't quote me on this one either.

cams prolly were made with a higher lift..and they didnt change the duration of the cam...cus as u can see..the torque on the b16's never really changed at all..but the horsepower increased by 10...

but yea...dont quote me on that one either..just a theory

Originally posted by CRXSI91@Nov 14 2004, 04:47 AM
cams prolly were made with a higher lift..and they didnt change the duration of the cam...cus as u can see..the torque on the b16's never really changed at all..but the horsepower increased by 10...

[post=416641]Quoted post[/post]​

Go look up the cam specs in our cam guide. The duration AND lift are different. Yup, there goes your theory.

I'm not by any means an expert in anything. This may have been a question that has been answered to death

But how does the Duration and Lift translate to? more power? power from this rpm to that rpm? What are the significance of the duration and lift for the intake vs. exhaust valves?

Originally posted by YangpaNemsay@Nov 14 2004, 06:50 PM
I'm not by any means an expert in anything. This may have been a question that has been answered to death

But how does the Duration and Lift translate to? more power? power from this rpm to that rpm? What are the significance of the duration and lift for the intake vs. exhaust valves?
[post=416788]Quoted post[/post]​

Duration translates to torque of the engine...and lift translates to top end power....im not gonna get into it..cus calesta can explain it better than i can..but thats basically it...duration is the torque area of the cam..and lift is the top end area of the cam.

Originally posted by Calesta+Nov 14 2004, 09:55 AM-->
@Nov 14 2004, 04:47 AM

[post=416641]Quoted post[/post]​

Go look up the cam specs in our cam guide. The duration AND lift are different. Yup, there goes your theory.
[post=416660]Quoted post[/post]​

heh...hey..i was close though...but thanks for the correction...even though u quoted me lol

The compression on the Sir II is 10.4:1 and on the B16A2, the compression is 10.2:1...

Also, the cams are a little more agressive on the Sir II.

Hope this helps. :p

Originally posted by scottp11@Nov 14 2004, 08:57 PM
The compression on the Sir II is 10.4:1 and on the B16A2, the compression is 10.2:1...

Also, the cams are a little more agressive on the Sir II.

Hope this helps. :p
[post=416821]Quoted post[/post]​

i forgot about the CR of both motors,heh :p

Originally posted by CRXSI91@Nov 14 2004, 07:09 PM

Duration translates to torque of the engine...and lift translates to top end power
[post=416795]Quoted post[/post]​

Ummmm, no.

DURATION: how long a valve is open for
LIFT: how high the valve is opened

there is no direct correclation to torque or top end power of either in and of themseleves.

bascially, the longer the duration, the more rpm the cam will make power to... but going to much creates overlap.
lift allows for more air to get in during any length of 1 duration.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol+Nov 15 2004, 10:35 AM-->
@Nov 14 2004, 07:09 PM

Duration translates to torque of the engine...and lift translates to top end power

Ummmm, no.

there is no direct correclation to torque or top end power of either in and of themseleves.

bascially, the longer the duration, the more rpm the cam will make power to... but going to much creates overlap.
[post=417007]Quoted post[/post]​

thanks for the correction,but theres no point in being smart to someone who could care less about what "tuner" has more "valve" knowledge..i told the guy not to quote me..and two admins. come in here..acting like its important to have a battle of who knows more about a god damn honda...tell us something we all dont know...like how mercedes..or porche...or bmw's work...i mean damn..we all on this site to learn and do the same shit..so why do we got people trying to be higher than others,instead of helping those people?

Originally posted by CRXSI91+Nov 15 2004, 12:53 PM-->
Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Nov 15 2004, 10:35 AM
CRXSI91

Ummmm, no.

thanks for the correction,but theres no point in being smart to someone who could care less about what "tuner" has more "valve" knowledge..i told the guy not to quote me..and two admins. come in here..acting like its important to have a battle of who knows more about a god damn honda...tell us something we all dont know...like how mercedes..or porche...or bmw's work...i mean damn..we all on this site to learn and do the same shit..so why do we got people trying to be higher than others,instead of helping those people?
[post=417104]Quoted post[/post]​

He's just trying to correct you so you learn like you just said in your post. You posted false information. This has nothing to do with trying to be "high and mighty" above any of the members. If you post false information and nobody comes in with the correct stuff, everyone learns the wrong things right? Calm down.

Originally posted by Calesta+Nov 15 2004, 01:00 PM-->
Originally posted by CRXSI91@Nov 15 2004, 12:53 PM
CRXSI91

Ummmm, no.

He's just trying to correct you so you learn like you just said in your post. You posted false information. This has nothing to do with trying to be "high and mighty" above any of the members. If you post false information and nobody comes in with the correct stuff, everyone learns the wrong things right? Calm down.
[post=417108]Quoted post[/post]​

and i respect that..and i LEARNED...and i told him "Thanks for correcting me"...just like i told you..but as always..yall take it a step further,and like to make someone feel stupid...but like i said before..i told him it was just a theory...but people tend to throw that out the window it seems like,but yea...im calm.

Originally posted by CRXSI91+Nov 15 2004, 01:14 PM-->
Originally posted by Calesta@Nov 15 2004, 01:00 PM
CRXSI91

Ummmm, no.

and i respect that..and i LEARNED...and i told him "Thanks for correcting me"...just like i told you..but as always..yall take it a step further,and like to make someone feel stupid...but like i said before..i told him it was just a theory...but people tend to throw that out the window it seems like,but yea...im calm.
[post=417114]Quoted post[/post]​

That's definitely not our intent. If you feel stupid from simple statements like what was said above, there's something wrong.

Originally posted by Calesta+Nov 15 2004, 01:23 PM-->
Originally posted by CRXSI91@Nov 15 2004, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Calesta@Nov 15 2004, 01:00 PM
CRXSI91

Ummmm, no.

[post=417114]Quoted post[/post]​

That's definitely not our intent. If you feel stupid from simple statements like what was said above, there's something wrong.
[post=417115]Quoted post[/post]​

i dont feel stupid,i said it seems like yall try to..but anyways,back to the topic.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol+Nov 15 2004, 10:35 AM-->

Ummmm, no.

And under most circumstances lift creates peak power and duration moves the power curve higher in the rpm band, effectively creating more power. :ph34r:

look at other options, I bet you'll be happier with more tq such as getting a GSR bottom with some higher CR pistons and swapping that in.

Back