B16 rebuild help for all the guru's..

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Samuels

I recently sold my MR2 turbo because he was a pain to work on. I bought a 90 si hatch with a b16 swap and its been in the car about 2 years. It needs new cam seals on the left side and it looks like a wet spot on the right front corner of my headgasket although it could be the other cam seals.

Anyway I want a reliable daily driven 13 sec car like my MR2 and i'd rather be all motor and still have the option of spraying a 50 shot only at the track on race gas making it a low 13 sec high 12 sec car.

The car currently runs a 14.5 on DC Header,iceman cold air,apex catback,no cat,b&m fpr. I was told it had a skunk2 intake manifold out of a GSR along with GSR fuel rail to make work. But I've looked at my friends GSR and he's skunk 2 looks different so its probably the stocky. This same guy offered me his brand new crower I believe stage 2 cams 1mm I think over type R cams for 400. Thier suppose to be about the biggest you can get with changing valvetrain. He was at my mechanics when I was thier today about my cam seals saying they would be a great upgrade and would just drop right in. Is it worth it? What kinda hp would be gained?

My reason for posting was really about rebuilding the whole motor but it'll be 4-6 months down the road. I no very little about building engines or putting together the neccessary parts. What is needed for my goals a mid 13.5-13.8 all motor ride that can run very low 13's on spray with race gas only.

Someone lay something out for me or give me some options please. I would love alittle more torque out of my b16 for sure if that helps but I don't want erract idles where it won't run right at lights.

If you want to run spray to get into 13s, just bolt up the bottle and run- you can get 13s on the bottle without modding the B16 in your hatch.

Crower stage 2 cams are nice- but if you're planning on running with higher compression pistons later, you might want to look into something more aggressive. How far are you thinking of going on this rebuild a few months from now?

The thing is the car has had the swap in awhile and I know the kid ran it hard before me. I'm kinda scared to spray it thinking the motor has seen its better days. I'd rather not spend a ton of money on a monster rebuild. I'll probably drop about 2k in it but will pull and reinstall the motor myself. I'd just like a daily driven mid to high 13sec car on motor and also have the ability to safely spray on race gas.

Honestly I don't no where to begin. I was thinking of oem bottom end with ARP bolts. Then maybe getting the head worked with a cam maybe type R head internals. I just want it to be quick and reliable and I would'nt mind some more torque. I may decide to wait till fall and just go all out on a all motor setup having about 4k to spend.

Back