b16 sir2 jumping

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

MJ93Hatchback

so I have the Sir2 in and it was running perfect, and by the way now I really understand the meaning of Ahhvtec's username lol but anyways when I am driving it is not running completely smooth, it like stutters or jump's just a hair. it doesn't matter rather it's high rpm's or not it will do it if I am smoothly shifting or getting on it, and when I get on it a little it definitely sacrifices some power...any idea what this could possibly be? and also not every time but sometimes when i am just sitting there it wants to idle back an forth from like 900 rpm to 1300...any help or suggestions would be appreciated...

Check the timing, make sure your plugs and wires are in good working order, make sure your tps is adjusted to the correct voltage at closed throttle (.45~.5v), and maybe do a compression check for fun [write down the results, and over time you can see how the health of your motor changes], fuel injector cleaner, maybe a seafoam treatment thru the intake (pcv hose).

Let us know what you try, and if you get it working right.

the only thing we have not done is checked the tps, fuel injector cleaner and a seafoam treatment. I took it to a guy around here who specializes in this stuff and let him drive it and he said that any jump he felt was in the suspension that the motor pulled and responded just like it was suppose to

If it feels like it's suspension related, check all rubber bushings, mainly your motor mounts.

i don't think it is, however if it is suspension, I would understand how it may be something along the mounts, we are going to check ther tps sensor voltage, put some injection cleaner in it and see what happens

Ok make it at least .45. Honestly, it matters. I've played around with mine a lot, just to experiment.

Also, with the multimeter connected to the TPS, have someone slowly depress the accelerator and make sure the numbers climb smoothly and consistantly.

Compression check numbers for each cylinder?

Air intake temperature sensor damaged?

MAP sensor damaged?

mounts and rubber bushings were fine...now I do want to mention that we checked the tps sensor in ohms with it off, I was looking back before and it said to check it for Volts so did we not do it correctly? and if so how do we do it correctly and/or set the tps to the correct voltage...

You'll need to turn the key to the ON position (powers engine), then use a backprobe of some sort to measure the wires on the back of the tps plug while it's connected to the tps. Positive lead to the signal wire of the tps (usually red/black wire), and the negative probe to the battery ground. With the throttle closed it should read .45~.5volts.

I highly recommend getting a Haynes manual. It tells you how to properly troubleshoot every sensor on the car. Because I think you should also check the Intake Air Temperature and the Manifold Absolute Pressure sensors....

so I have the Sir2 in and it was running perfect, and by the way now I really understand the meaning of Ahhvtec's username lol but anyways when I am driving it is not running completely smooth, it like stutters or jump's just a hair. it doesn't matter rather it's high rpm's or not it will do it if I am smoothly shifting or getting on it, and when I get on it a little it definitely sacrifices some power...any idea what this could possibly be? and also not every time but sometimes when i am just sitting there it wants to idle back an forth from like 900 rpm to 1300...any help or suggestions would be appreciated...

Change the IAC on the Intake Manifold, that causes the idle to go up and down and also if you driving smoothly and release the gas pedal then stump on it again the car jumps and when you release the gas pedal and come too a slow point the car start jerking sort off that's the IAC need to be change.
Good Luck.

ok so check this out, it is still doing it so we decided to do a compression test...well when we took the spark plug wires out we discovered the 4th cylinder was filled up with oil...so we drained the oil out of it and took it for ride, and it still jumps, or misfires or however you want to say, and I def. notice a power loss, and when I hit vtec it doesn't sound clean...however after driving it tonight it has not filled back up with oil, and we are not getting any codes...I was going to call Hmotors tomorrow, but any suggestions or help would be much appreciated, thanks

That sucks dude. Your spark plug wires are probably fried tho. My friend's eclipse was leaking oil out of his oil cap and running down into the spark plug holes and grounding out the wires to the block, ruining his wires. Try a new set or known good set of wires and see if it helps you any. That's pretty lame you found oil inside the cylinder though, you still may have another problem (ring, cylinder wall, wrist pin, etc.).

That sucks dude. Your spark plug wires are probably fried tho. My friend's eclipse was leaking oil out of his oil cap and running down into the spark plug holes and grounding out the wires to the block, ruining his wires. Try a new set or known good set of wires and see if it helps you any. That's pretty lame you found oil inside the cylinder though, you still may have another problem (ring, cylinder wall, wrist pin, etc.).

well the wires seem fine, i dunno of course i'll probably replace them, but yeah thats what I am trying to figure out what the other problem could be because even if the spark plug wire is bad, that prob. isn't the reason for what it's doing is it?...and how could I check to see what else the problem may be?

Compression check and leak down test. Could be valve seals

Highly doubting, but maybe the iacv.......

Deffinatly post up those numbers for the compression and leak down for each cylinder with priority.

yeah, it sucks because I purchased the motor from hmotors, through research I found out the place to get it from, and they do all of those checks and I have ran into so many problems already, bad distributor, bad knock sensor,which they replaced as in the warranty and now this, plus I am pretty sure my alternator is going bad, my battery light keeps flickering and fading in and out. We did a compression test before we installed the motor while it was out of the car and the first three were around 200 and the fouth one (the one we found oil in) varied alot, it was around 100 at first then it was at 150 or so...but we haven't done one since it has been in the car and running...but we will do a compression check and ill post up the results, and for anyone else that might have input please feel free to throw something in

Valve cover gasket probably then. That's a cheap 20 bucks anyway and only takes a few hours. Use some rtv black on the corners and by the cam. It sounds like to me the seal that goes around the spark plug channel on that cylinder is leaking then.

dont forget a leakdown too

Back