b16 sir2 jumping

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

we will do a compression test as soon as i get time, but doesn't that compression test from before we got it running seem a little funny? and it was in the same cylinder that we found oil above the spark plug...

we will do a compression test as soon as i get time, but doesn't that compression test from before we got it running seem a little funny? and it was in the same cylinder that we found oil above the spark plug...

Most likely the cylinder/piston ring is worn, and when you removed the spark plug to perform the test oil ran down into the cylinder. Thus after a few cranks of the motor, the oil helped to create the necessary seal to bring up the compression number. I've read of oil being used in this manner.

That's what I would guess.

Leak down! It's different than compression checking.

Most likely the cylinder/piston ring is worn, and when you removed the spark plug to perform the test oil ran down into the cylinder. Thus after a few cranks of the motor, the oil helped to create the necessary seal to bring up the compression number. I've read of oil being used in this manner.

That's what I would guess.

Leak down! It's different than compression checking.

there wasn't oil in it when we ran the first compression test and we haven't ran one since...and we will do a leakdown test as well, I am going to call Hmotors here in a bit and see what they have to say about it

I agree with YBLEGAL your oil sittin on top of the plug def sounds like a valve cover gasket problem. When you get a gasket make sure it comes with the spark plug rings

already replaced the valve cover gasket with the rings. that helped the oil issuse but it is still jumping some!!! the spark plugs were fine we took a compression test, and here are the results : Cylinder 1- 210, 215, 215, 215 Cylinder 2- 210, 215, 215, 215 Cylinder 3- 220, 220, 220, 220 Cylinder 4- 215, 222, 225, 225...so compression is fine, which is good to hear because I was worried about that. but in cylinder's 1 & 2 we found some carbon on the spark plugs???? what do yall make of that, and what else could possibly be making this thing jump?

It's an old motor. From the day I got mine, it's had some hesitation every once in a while. I've always had the feeling the injectors are in need of a cleaning and are stickin'.

Not sure anymore. Wanna take a vid showing the issue and post it up maybe?

i am not sure a video would show anything really, it's more something that you would have to feel. but the thing is its not just a little hesitation, I can notice a big power loss with this issue, It has gotten better though, i drove it around yesterday going different places, but it's still an issue that needs to be fixed like I said, i wouldn't mind it but the fact that it is making me loss power, not cool. and fyi it doesn't just do it when I hit it, it doesn't when I smoothly shift through the gears as well. while cruzin at 60 mph it doesn't seem to have too big of problem, and it varies in how bad and how much it does it so...I was gonna call Hmotors tomorrow and see if there is anything else they can suggest....oh yeah something else that I thought was kinda funny acting is that in that 4th cylinder where the oil had gotten in above the spark plug, my spark plug wire keeps breaking. the little metal piece inside that clamps down on the spark plug keeps coming off, i am on my 3rd set now...just thought I would throw that out there to see if anyone made anything of that

Last edited:
lol geeeze. OEM wires?

Might you be in or around indiana?

located in VA, but we changed the fuel filter and that has made a Significant difference. It is still jumping a little bit, but def. drivable now, and at times it runs just as smooth as it can. My question was because the gas that we dumped out of the old filter was filthy, so now that we replaced the filter do you think maybe I just need to let it kinda clear up on it's own and that will prob. stop the little bit of jumping now, or do you think it could still be something else?...and this was just my thinking, if that filter was that clogged up and/or dirty and this is my 4th tank of gas I believe if not 5th, that maybe we need to let it run through the clean filter and get some clean gas run through it and maybe clear up some of the old mess...does that make sense?

The injectors also have very tiny filters on each of them. Maybe you should pull your injectors and rail and make sure they are clean. Maybe the fuel pump is gunked up too? Sorry I can't think of much more to suggest. Make sure the injector orings and rubber seats are in good condition as well if you do pull the injectors.

that's also what we were thinking was maybe the fuel pump, and injectors...and i am not trying to ignore your suggestion, but to my previous question, could my theory be a possibility, or does it not make any sense, J/W for my mind sake...

Sorry, I don't know about running it a lot to flush the fuel system out. I haven't encountered a gunked up filthy fuel system yet. I would guess the only thing to do is check the fuel pressure. If you see a problem, I guess start disassembling the fuel system....fun fun... lol

A B&M fuel pressure gauge would be your best bet if you don't already have a gauge. You will be putting a fitting in place of the fuel filter banjo bolt. That fitting has a threaded hole on top which the gauge screws into. It can be removed and replaced with the OEM bolt if you don't want to keep it connected. If you find another gauge or something, it needs to read the pressure after the filter but before the regulator, and usually best if it's before the injectors as well. I don't know the stock pressure off hand though, I think it's somewhere around 45psi maybe.

so engine code 9 has graced me with it's presence, according to the hayne's manual that is No1 cylinder position sensor, and now the car is running like poop again...what I was wondering was if we could replace that sensor out of a distributor from a SOHC untill I can get in touch witht the company to send me a new one...

Back