b16 started but i got some bad news

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mrnice1058

ok if you don't know my story here it is i had a b16 engine and put it in my 97 civic went to go and start it and nothing it didn't want to spin so my boy took it apart and found the problem busted rod. so he took it apart cleaned it out honed it and all that stuff (he is a pro at it) and put it back together. we got it in and all bloted up and we started it up today good news is it started bad news is when i start it , it will not stay on unless i hold on the gas. problem number two there is a funny sound coming from the timing belt area i have no clue what it could be could it be the timing belt ten. ? i have no clue i am lost ready to give up if you can help me please let me know thanks guys

ok i found the pining noise it was my altenator it was lose and we didn't realize that. now it is fix but i need to figure out the problem with my idle it is very low and i have to hold the gas for it to stay one what can i look for?

Originally posted by mrnice1058@Oct 15 2004, 05:30 PM
bad news is when i start it , it will not stay on unless i hold on the gas.
[post=403167]Quoted post[/post]​

Im guessing your throttle cable needs to be tightened. With my B16, i had to make a bracket for the throttle cable so it fit right.

really i didn't think that would be a problem, i will try it out thanks anything else you can think of?

Originally posted by mrnice1058@Oct 15 2004, 07:54 PM
really i didn't think that would be a problem, i will try it out thanks anything else you can think of?
[post=403231]Quoted post[/post]​

I suggest you check it.

Just open your hood and see how tight it is. Its a common problem many of us encounter when swapping in a B16A.

. . also, try a search.

Throttle cable can be completely detached and it will idle fine, it doesn't have shit to do with the idle, unless maybe you idle is high.

Make sure all hoses are connected, coolant it right, test voltage on sensors, the usual troubleshooting procedures.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Oct 17 2004, 11:59 AM
Make sure all hoses are connected, coolant it right, test voltage on sensors, the usual troubleshooting procedures.
[post=403641]Quoted post[/post]​

the voltage on the tps is good the only reason why i know is becuase the vafc told me so...what do i need to do with the coolant? also i am looking for a vacuum hose diagram that i can understand the one in the helms is kind of hard to understand now i have seen the one with for the obd0 b16a diagram but i got the 99 si intake manifold on the engine let me know if you find one please thanks guys

Back