B16 swap but white smoke?????

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SiR2Coupe

ok so i have an eg coupe with a jdm b16s2 swap and lately well for a good time now it has been puffing out white smoke out my exhaust i don't have a cat its just a test pipe now.. but it only seems to smoke real bad after i hit vtec and when im in idle range after i hit vtec.... can anyone relate???? or know why this is happening????

a lot of people mistake burning oil for "white smoke" while those in the know call it "blue smoke." even though it looks white, it's more of a fogy white with a very subtle blue tint, where as burning coolant will look like steam, very transparent. first decide if it's burning oil, or water. oil can be leaking past your valve seals because of worn guides, or past your piston rings, or from blowby at high rpm forcing past your rings and through a fog of oil then through your PCV valve into your intake. pull that valve out and have a look at it. if it's soaked with oil, that's likely your problem. but if the valve appears to be burned looking, like some oil was on there, then baked on, then you can look to other sources.

Either you have a blown head gasket or a craked head. but most likely a head gasket. and that is why you see white smoke because it is the coolant being burnt.

im with BrokenRex on this one... its not always so easy to tell the diffenence between coolant and oil burning. a relatively small amount of oil burning in an engine definitely can make smoke that would considered white...but it has a foggy, or sometime bluish look to it. sometimes the smell will give away what the culprit is too.

i just did a b16 swap and i have the same issue. Mine smokes bad after high rpm runs. Mine is certainly oil, the level drops lots. so far i am leaning towards rings, but am curious to see what you find. If i put rings in and it works, i'll let you know. Just to clarify and get the best advice, is your coolant or oil level dropping? That will tell you if its head gasket if the antifreeze is dropping.

ive had a b16 for a while now but im throwing alot of smoke after my engine warms up and i rev past 4k..... im pretty sure mine is the head gasket, be it a bad seal due to the head studs..... but it basically comes down to what your burning, oil or coolant or both.... bets way to tell if it is the head gasket is checking for mixing

Back