B16 swap Carb to Injection conversion advise

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

b16dx

Currently swapped a d-series motor to a b-series.
Old d-series was 2 barrel carburettor. There are no wires for Injection. Most of the loom to the ecu has been fed to the ecu.

I have a main relay and engine wiring.
I need help connecting the Yellow/black wire that comes from the injectors, it is supposed to connect to the main relay and other parts. Anybody have a diagram or advise I can follow.

How did you get through with this swap? I am doing a similar swap and most people are telling me that it will be a major headache.

Carb to Injection converion

There is a lot of wiring to get through firstly there is the injection, then feeding new wires to the ECU as my ecu didn't even have any plugs for injection (yes you do need a new ECU)
Most of all you must pray to God,as you will not be able to do it without his help.
If there is any specific advise you want let me know, as there is just so much to the whole install.
I would take a step at a time.
I personally left the injection wiring to last. I began by making looms and feeding them to the ecu from the engine plugs.

My car is a JDM 1995 Honda Integra ZX with SOHC ZC motor with dual carbs. I think the US equivalent is a D16A. Believe it or not but this motor is also controlled by an ECU. I have a JDM D15B VTEC (130hp)engine to put in and am going to use the interior Del Sol Si OBD1 wiring harness. My car is a right hand drive and the harness I have is for a left hand drive vehicle. I have another harness of this type that I will use to lenghten some wires. The engine comes with an uncut engine harness and I already have a P08 ECU. My only concern is wiring back up lights and the gauge cluster and stuff like that. I might have to take it to an auto-electrician to mesh this old wiring with the new one. My fuel tank is not equipped for an in-tank fuel pump so I will have to use an inline/external one. I heard Walbro makes a good one to sustain the fuel pressure needed. What do you think so far? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Paul Vaughn
Barbados, Caribbean

Carb to Injection conversion

My car was a UK spec RHD Single carb, I also had an ecu with just two plugs( no plug for injection etc).

I didn't have a problem wiring back up the lights and the cluster all the existing wiring was used as I only added wires for check engine light and for the fuel light. Some of my original wiring like fan, a/c speedo wire etc I just reused original wires and pluged them into the ecu plugs

As for the fuel tank the easy solution is to just purchase a tank with the electric pump from the salvage yard and take all the wiring the comes with it.

The ECU I used was a custom programmed ECU.

In my haste I just chopped the plugs from the engine bay from the donor car. I should have taking the loom, but this would have taken me a long time. So I had to do a lot of soldering.
I highly recomend you get the manual for the car as when you have all these wires infront of you it gets really confusing.

Save you a lot of trouble (It was this way for my car)
I have a RHD, The drivers side tower connector I used exactly the same, any changes I did were done from inside the car behing the drivers side fuse box. I swapped the wires as they were on the donor car and according to the manual. The wires for speedo and other sensors also go into this plug and the injetors.

The passenger side tower connectors, all the wires were fed to the ECU ( I made smaller looms and fed them through to the inside)I also used the original plugs. I didn't use any of the existing wiring that was there as I wasn't sure were it went to, as I didn't have a wiring diagram for my carburetor car.

The best thing be sure what you want to do, then pray to God ask Him for his help and take it one step at a time.
Your car might be slightly different but most likely the job will be similar. Don't get me wrong it isn't an easy thing to do as there are times when you get frustrated and may lose heart, but that when prayers will help.

Last edited:
For the wiring, I have two OBD1 interior dash harnesses from a 94 civic del sol. My vehicle is RHD but these harnesses were made for LHD. I most likely will have to extend the shock tower for the driver`s side on my car, that is why I have two of them.The old harness I might have to use back very little of it.
My car also came with that same type ECU you described and I know that it has to go. The engine I am installing now will be a JDM D15B Vtec(130hp) mated to a P08 ecu. To source a gas tank is difficult and very expensive here in Barbados so I will go with an external fuel which I will mount next to the gas tank. Walbro makes a good one for in-tank or external installations. The fuel lines are there already too. I downloaded the Helms manual for both cars so I have diagrams to follow. I will get some help from an auto-electrician with the wiring as well. I know it is not an easy swap but I have faith and I will get through. I will still pray like you advised and keep you posted. Thanks for the advice.

Paul

Carb to injection conversion

As far as I know when you install an external pump, you use two pumps one is a high pressure pump that picks up the fuel and sources a pot, then you add another pump on the pot a small pressure pump to supply fuel to the rail. (This was the adivse I was given as an alternative)Do you your research thoroughly on this one as it is the fuel system.
If you are going to wire up your own pump I don't think you will have as much headaches, as I wanted mine to work like the factory one so I wired it up to the Main relay. Locating the wiring is long tedious job. It should hopefully be less headache if you just run your own wiring.

If you have an auto-electrician, as far as I know the plugs should be the same, but before you start just double check by following the colours on the plug and in the helms manual (These colours are different sometimes and it gets very confusing)

Most of all before you start Pray to God.

I hope it all goes well for, if I can help you I will.

Back