B16 Swap In 89 Dx.. Is It Worth It?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

MrHaTcH89

Yo guys watap. 4reallzzz now. im getttin about ready for a b16 swap in my civic dx hatch.. this place, trackmasters, wants to charge me 2600 for it. installed, comp, everything. is it worth it? tellme all the info i need for a swap!! plz! and how much it really is worth it for, or any references to any other place in the Los Angeles area homiez.. thanks!! just let me know ASAP.. ps im running a 17. flat at the track now 'LACR' and what do u think i will be running. tellme if i need to know what kinda car its out of n shit like that.. its from japan. thanks! also, do u think i can do it myself?? i can get the mounts for 250 and the motor for 1200... plus comp and whatever else i need.. so maybe like 1700.. is it easy?? thanks

do it yourself. it's not the toughest swap in the world and you'll gain quite a bit of knowledge. just make sure you get the obd0 b16a SiR to avoid wiring complications.

and what about the shift linkage?? it sounds good if i can do it myself. before i buy a motor how can i make sure it will work fine? and tell me exactly what i need... ALL THAT I NEED!!!!!!!!!

IMO thats a descent price if you cant do it yourself. not the best but descent. if that includes the engine and everything. i did mine for 2500. it included the entire swap. if you think about it, the engine would probably cost around 1000 to 2000, if you can find a good deal on it. and the labor is probably around the same area. (high labor cost) some places charge like 3000 to 3500 for the swap. so just look around to see if you can find a better deal. but that is not too bad.

if you live in california, that is an Illegal swap, the obd0 b16 is not a cali legal swap, if you want to go that route, that is cool, but i would highly suggest otherwise. or you can convert your car to obd1 and call it the equivilant of a usdm b16a3... also that is a good deal on the swap, but talk to them about the legality of the swap...
good luck man...

really, so wat does the legality have to do with it anyways?? just if da cops look under my hood?? what can i do to make it legal exactly, with a b16 in there. and can someone please explain to me "obd1 and obd0" i really dont understand what the diff is, i guess they make 2 kinds of the b16.. is that the b16a"1" and the b16a"0" or what. lol.. and once again, what do i EXACTLY need for this swap, if i buy JUST the motor, no computer and how can i know if this motor is even a WORKING motor... uppin for some replies

Originally posted by MrHaTcH89@May 11 2003, 11:40 PM
really, so wat does the legality have to do with it anyways?? just if da cops look under my hood?? what can i do to make it legal exactly, with a b16 in there. and can someone please explain to me "obd1 and obd0" i really dont understand what the diff is, i guess they make 2 kinds of the b16.. is that the b16a"1" and the b16a"0" or what. lol.. and once again, what do i EXACTLY need for this swap, if i buy JUST the motor, no computer and how can i know if this motor is even a WORKING motor... uppin for some replies

the obd's are the different generations of the ecu's (computer) that control the car. obd0 is obviously older than obd1, you need to get your motor reffed to pass smog in Ca. Every two years you will have to take your car in to pass a smog test, so you could do some shady under the table deal and pay 200 bucks every 2 years or you could pay 40 bucks and do it legit... and convert your car over to obd1, and claim that the motor is from a del sol VTEC, because if you are using a jdm motor in Ca. you need to claim that it is identical to its usdm counter part. you will also have to run all of the usdm smog equipment on the jdm motor... for more info read up on these links a lot of good info here:
https://hondaswap.com/forums/index.php?...t=ST&f=1&t=5102

hey man thanks a lot, to pissedoffsol too, i learned a lot about smog n stuff with all of that info.. too many stories! anyways, i still need to know exactly what i need if im going to do this swap myself.. it is a HUGE ass thing for me so i want to make sure, thats why im here talkin to all da 'pros' to find out.. or should i just do it through trackmasters for 2600.. here are the prices i could get the shit for individually... $250- for the engine mounts to fit a 'B' series engine.. shiftlinkage.. i dont know, BY THE WAY ARE THOSE EASY TO PUT ON?? also, the motor, for about 1200 plus however much the computer is.. and do new motors normally come with new tranny's??? so here we go. tell me everything i need, down to the tools. thanks.. hopefully i can do this myself.. it will be a good experience. remember, i have a dx. 89. hatch. will i need to relocate my battery n shit like that too?? thanks again

wiring was a bitch on that swap, there's alot more to it than here in our reference section and on other sites... i plan on doing a full write up of this swap soon.

Originally posted by MaaseyRacer Posted on May 12 2003@ 08:52 AM
the obd's are the different generations of the ecu's (computer) that control the car. obd0 is obviously older than obd1, you need to get your motor reffed to pass smog in Ca.

Why is that,the car is OBD 0 and so is the motor.

why dont u bust that write up now, lol, i NEED INFO, come on people, HELP, isnt that what this fukin place is here for. its a simple fucking question, do you guys think i can do it or not man, fuck

Yes but do a freaking search. You can find a lot of good info if you read some old topics. Do a search on google. Read as much shit as you can beofre you get into anything. We don't all have a lot of time to give you all the info you need. All the info is out there, search for it and come back specific questions. Go to www.hasport.com for a complete list of all the shit you need. Remember to do a clutch, timing belt, water pump, and complete tune up while the engine is out of the car.

I did a similar swap like yours you better hope someone knows about wiring!!!

thats the hardest part I had a STD converted to OBD1 SIR II trust me its not easy!!

wiring is a bitch~

shizznits :ph34r:

Hey Bud. I did this swap and cant remember every tool, but a basic set of metric hand tools and some impact tools for sure. ENGINE CRANE. Car hoist was also very helpful. READ all and I mean all info you can get your hands on before doing this swap. Hasport.com I found to be an asset in the job. Depending on what trans you use you need to mix and match axle peices to get the correct length.As for shift linkage I just cut them then welded them to size. Another good source of info is Honda Tuner magazine. Like I said earlier though Hasport.com truley awsome.

:p :worthy:

Over and out

you will need 8, 10MM, 12, 14, 17, 19, 32 MM sockets. deep socket 1/2 and 3/4 or what ever you call it
and I think the above hand tool in that order.

get the craftsman 150PC that would work make sure you have the above.
don't really need a impact wrench make sure u have a braker bar.
but an impact wrench will help make the job faster easyer I bought one for my swap.

Engine Hoist will be need if you don't want to shizznits your engine :unsure:

hope this helps!!

Well what you going to need is a cv axles from a 92 acura integra thats the expensive part besides your engine. axles will average about 200.00.. with out core and of course when you pull the old one you'll get you cash back.. the old axels are too long.. if your engine doesn't come with a resistor box for the injectors you'll need to get one also from a 91-93 acura integra about 20.00. this is usally gotten from the salvage yard. Well you would have to convert it to four fuel injectors.. the reason the old motor on your civic has a two fuel injector carb set up like.. so your going to have to wire a resistor box to this. the resistor box controls the four fuel injectors .. the easiest way to go about wiring if you dont have help is Hasport. they have a wiring harnest for the b16a motor swap.look on the back of the engine if it doesn have the rear motor bracket you'll need this also this is about 50.00 average.. from a 92 acura integra gsr... 5 speed remember this... also your going to need a set of motor mounts the original motor mounts won't fit. so hasport is a great deal for the money plus its lifetime warranted 350.00. 88-91 b-series motor swap..the old motormounts won't fit. to the jdm motor.. usdm and jdm dont mix. shift linkage the old shift linkage wont fit so hasport also has another 150.00 for shift linkage.. and engine harnest will have to be re-ran.. if you dont want to use old engine harnest hasport also has a engine harnest for sale price... dont know i redid my harnest.. now is your 91 a DX or SI if it isnt any of these your going to need a spindels for the front passanger and driver. also in order for the integra axles to fit into the hub you need DX or si Five speed spindels and hub..88-91 si or dx five speed. you can usally get this from salvage yard. let me know when you run into trouble i'll try to help... What else if you want more info go to hasport. oh tools you got a list of that.... :)

thanks A LOT. this really helped me, VERY MUCH TOO!! thanks again, lol. anyways, imma see how much i can get a b16 and all of the other stuff mentioned including everything sooboss said. and a special thanks to him. i need to talk to my local trackmasters people cuz they're all honda over there. they dont like spending much time with people not payin them but im sure a few questions wont hurt. im gettin kinda excited now, this swap is coming up soon almost for sure, unless i decide otherwise and sell my car for an integra and start fixing that. im going to college next semester, maybe i should have a car a little bigger than i have now, that would be good too. also a lil more comfortable, i like honda so acura sounded perfect with that. so the civics 'lil brother' could do a lot too. i was thinking if i got a 94 and turboed it or something like that. any suggestions on that?? for now im really into this swap though, i know it will teach me a lot. where would be a good place to get a hold of a b16 and do u think i should take it apart before i put it in? remember i dont know how to tell if a motor will run on its first start, what if its blown? any way of knowing that before droppin it in? thanks A MILLION guys.. w/b

pz out

Back