b16 swap in a 3rd gen lude

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

90preludeLad

i want to know about doin a b16 swap in my 3rd gen lude, yeah yeah yeah, i know, h22a. don't have the money or the time for a swap that complicated and i have a friend who has a b16a vtec he could help me drop in there. how complicated would this swap be? if not his b16a then any other kind of b16. the lack of engine parts for my 3rd gen lude saddens me :( . need something in there that has an aftermarket parts market. thanks guys.

ya i have a 3rd gen and im looking for a swap and after i looked through all the stuff i figured that anything smaller then wats in it now wont have enough power. a prelude is too heavy unless u can get some torque out of it then itll be alright

b16 is not a logical choice it doesnt have near the tq needed to get the car going. yes ppl have done this swap and its not going to be any harder than the h22 but mounts will probably have to be custom. their may be a mount kit out there.

my suggestion is h22 head on the fblock (modification required) and put some 11:1 compression pistons, or higher.

the f22 is a great motor with a lot of potential so do some research and see what you can find out there for mods (honda-tech.com is another great resource) there is a write up about the f22 bottom end mated with the h22 head. i wish i would have known about it sooner.

dont spend the money for the b16. its too expensive for what you are wanting. you can pick up those parts all for under 1000. got questions feel free to pm me.

good luck on whatever you choose to do.

prelude has cable shifters. B16 has rods. conversion will be a biotch. prelude Bseries tranny won't bolt to b16, b18, B17,B20b, B20Z you get my drift. yes it has been done. but you can bet that an H22 swap will more beneficial and easier.

Because the way the motors in the 88-91 Prelude "lean" back, dropping in a b16 motor is not a wise choice.
WHY?

Oiling will be a problem.
Vtak y0.
Hood closure and oil pan scraping is another.
as my good friend Eludethis noted, the transmission.

There arent many people who do this swap...it will cost you well over $5000.USD to fab up motor mounts, cut/weld to make a transmission work, then axel issues etc etc.

PLEASE.
Do not insult the 3g Prelude.
A b16 may have nice high-end power, but it's only a 1.6L motor. NO TQ.
It belongs in a bubble or a CRX.
The 3g Prelude is a cornering MACHINE. Imagine a b16 powered Ba4. You hit a corner and NOW you have NO TQ to push it around like you did with the b20a5/b21a1.

The beauty of the b20a5/b21a1 matched with either the d2j3/d2a4 is the amazing LOW END power the motor/tranny produces.
This is why 3g Prelude owners keep coming back for more...it's a special car that is hated on and not understood by many.
DONT INSULT US and the legacy of the Lude.
^_^

Back