b16 swap in del sol

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Jm0n3yj0hns0n

Rotta Roketta
i have a 93 del sol, i want a b16 in it, some one said its a pain in he ass to do the swap and to just go with a d15b or d16? Advice?

they came with a d15 d16 and b16,,you need the motor and tranny, motor mounts, ecu, shift linkage, and new axles

Last edited:
yeah that makes sence lol, i might just end up going for a d15b or a d16 for now untill i can get the money to do the b16 swap, what do you perfer the d15b or d16?

i like the d15b vtec, its a super super easy swap thats what i put in my crx and i love it

if you live anywhere near ohio i have a complete d15 with vtec head with 140,000 miles on the block and 8000 miles on the vtec head that was port and polished including the chipped ecu that i could sell for like 700 if you are interested, its the complete setup if you want, axles engine harness, ecu, even ac if you wanted it.

i live in michian so yeah, buti wont have the money for the swap for a couple months, im puttin like a hundred or so away everyweek, if you still have it at that time then ill buy it

Just a quick question here...

What model is your Del Sol? If you have an Si, then you already have a D16Z6, which has VTEC. If you have a base model, then you've got a non-VTEC D15. You could easily convert the D15 to VTEC with the head rainer is offering you.

Keep in mind though that the transmission is part of the equation. If you're looking to have a fast D15/D16, then aside from just the motor I'd also look for an EX or Si tranny. The gears are shorter and will help you accelerate faster. The transmission that's attached to your D15 has long gears; good for gas mileage but not good for going fast.

One more thing to think about. If the B16 is what you really want, then do you really want to spend any money on a temporary motor swap? I mean you could take the $500-$700 you're going to spend on a VTEC D-Series and save that towards a B16 instead. Unless there's something wrong with the motor you have and you need to swap it now I just don't see the point of spending a good chunk of money on a motor that's not your first choice.

Are you going to be doing the swap yourself? Or are you going to have a shop do it? Consider that too. If you're having a shop do it then why pay for two swaps?

If you'll be happy with a VTEC D-Series than go for it, but if what you really want is the B16 then I'd say skip the D and save your money.

Back