B16 Swap Problem

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

methos713

did my swap about a week ago...been having problems...the headgasket isn't good, leaking oil...plus the radiator is foaming, and when driving...sometimes white/greyish smoke comes out of the tailpipe. when my friends and i did the swap...we added mobil1 5w30...4 quarts. Went for a test drive, and came back...the dipstick was low on oil :eek: so we added another one...it was halfway...the next day when i was going to travel back home...we added another one too. when driving i saw white smoke....and checked the sparkplugs yesterday....all was black, where the spark is at...and had bits of oil on it....also the sparkplug closest to the camgears had hella oil on it...and was black. Now i need your guys help...since this is my first swap....what does all this mean(what i mention above) and what do i need to do. also the dipstick is from a gsr...do i need a b16 dipstick? I know i need to replace the headgasket, and the sparks too, but give me some advice. the sparks are ngk platiums by the way...my motor is a jdm b16 w/ type r cams and type r intake manifold...w/ gsr distributor and throttlebody...by the way my car idles at 1 1/2 rpms...was told that it was the tps sensor....and my timing is off too.

Your getting oil into the combuston chamber, if your headgasket was leaking, you would be getting no compression. A hellicoil is no good, neither is using a platinum plug in your place. Because the tip on platinum plugs is so small any blow by oil will foul the plug. If your losing compression and dont see a leak in the headgasket, you will have to take the head off and look for scores on the cylinder walls. Your problem is most likely going to be valve stem seals, unless there cylinder is junk.

i see a leak, and its the headgasket. today i checked the spark plugs...and they seem better....normal condition...even the one w/ hella oil on it...it was better...but not really like the other ones...plus it didn't have oil on it...well only a little...but not like yesterday where it was covered in oil. Also do i need to get a b16 dipstick, since my motor is a b16 and i'm using a gsr dipstick?

i was thinking...if i'm going to replace my headgasket...i should also put in my skunk2 valve springs...but i don't have the retainers...do i need the ti retainers? I'm going to fix my burned p28 ecu chipped vtec@4700 and revlimit@10k. Do you guys think i should get retainers since my rev limit is high. right now i'm using a jdm p30. and when running on a ecu like that...do you guys think i will be running to rich..also i'm going to hook up my vafc pretty soon too. let me know...and give me any advice you guys have on my motor problems up above...thanks.

also, where is the IACV on the itr intake manifold located at? i want to check that out...to see if it is what causes my car to idle at 1 1/2 rpm.

also i checked my spark plugs again today...and they seemed okay...they have the normal sign to it...but the one with hella oil on it the other day was on the sign of normal...but not really...it was also brown...and plus on some of the sparks...oil can see be seen on the threads but not a lot. I guess i'm going to have to get some sealant for it. You guys know where i can get some...i've heard of hondabond or something like that...but where do i get it and how much does that cost???

You need to have a competent mechanic look at and fix it. And yes you need a B16A's dipstick.

Damn! Maybe you screwed your valve guides as well? White smoke could mean a couple things. Water in your oil and or fuel problem.

then what do i need to do...the motor has been sitting for 3-4 years...since my friend got it...and if water is mixing with the oil...what do i need to do...i'm going to have one of my friend check it out by the way though.

also my friend told me that maybe my oil pressure is not connected, cause he was looking at my motor and saw that sensor wasn't connected....he says its either the knock sensor or the oil pressure sensor...but my other friend that checked my checklight blinks says that its throwing knock sensor code, o2 sensor code, tps sensor code, and vtec code...even though vtec kicks in at 6k rpm...w/ jdm p30 ecu.

You need to spluge and take it to a ASE mechanic. Someone who knows honda's and get ready to pay 50 bucks an hour. If your block is cracked OUCH!! at least you have a vtec head. Buy a b20!

Back