b16 timing belt issue

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

DelSlo

ok this is for my b16 a2 motor, i did the timing belt in it when i had the motor on the stand before it was in the car (93 sol), motor only has about 40,000 on it im told, but obviously i got no proof of that so i figured id do the belt just to know where its at as far as mileage is concerned. i bought a honda belt, no aftermarket, so i put it on, timing was mint, i followed the procedure for tensioning, align all marks, loosen tensioner, rotate cam pulley 3 teeth past TDC and tighten tensioner (according to haynes manual) then i rotated the crank 6 times, checked timing, seemed good, belt seemed to have adequate tension, so i bolted her all back up, dropped in the car, blah blah blah, started it up, motor runs mint, after a few times of running it i start hearing this really bad rattle, so i pull the valve cover, belt seems really loose, even under compression when the one side is tight, the other side seems extremely lose and i am able to slip the belt off the cam pulley by hand :unsure:

i checked timind marks and the exhaust cam was off one tooth, so i reset the timing, re tensioned the belt according to haynes manual, rotate the crank 6 times and its off half a tooth and still extremely loose..... is this a common sign of a tensioner gone?? i know the rattle is the belt slapping cause when i take the slack out of the belt when the motor is runnign the noise goes away.....

when i did the belt i did not do the tensioner, im thinking of changing over the old belt and trying that, but seeing as how the motor is in the car it is a bit more time consuming, none the less whats gotta be done has to be done and a little hard work never hurt anyone but i just was hopin for a few more experienced opinions before tearing her all down again... thanx.

well if it was me i would of changed the belt tensioner and the water pump since you was there already should of done it all, as far as putting the old belt back i wouldn't do that, i had the same problem with mine but my problem was that the spring came off on the tensioner when it went under pressure, check that it could be the same problem

Change the tensioner, keep the new belt. Count the teeth on the new belt to make sure you got the right one too.

Back