b16 timing

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

600ryda

so i just got done rebuilding my b16 motor and got it in my car. started up first try no problem. i let it warm up a little and went to put the timing light on it. now if memory serves me correctly i should be right at the red mark on the pulley right? im barely there and cant turn the dizzy no more? does this mean my timing belt could be off a tooth or sumthin? the car seems to be running pretty damn strong and good so if it would be off by a tooth howe badly would it effect the engines running? any incite could be greatly appreciated! thanx in advance

have you driven it? snapped the throttle open once its warmed up? what about when the timing belt stretches a little? personally i would just re-do it and get it right because it sounds like it is off a tooth or two. if nothing else you should at least look at the timing belt and the timing marks and see that theyre lined up correctly. fix it if necessary. it shouldnt take more than 5 hours.

no i havnt driven it yet i got a whole bunch of wiring bugs to work out inside the car lol. all i did was let the motor run for a couple of minutes and warm up then tried to timing light it when i found this shit. i did have to adjust the valve lash after the motor went in last night and it seemed like all the marks were lining up properly. if i line up the cam gears and the crank pulley's white mark is at my indicator i should be good right? im gonna double check everything tomorrow.

what about the tenioner? did you do that correctly? and did you put enough tension on the belt? did you have to time the oil pump? i know some you do and some you dont but i normally deal with stock stuff on the asian and euro imports so even though i have a few hondas, i couldnt tell you the families of the engines off the top of my head. and if i did i wouldnt be sure they were all correct. i have a 91 accord LX, a 90 integra GS, a 88 prelude SI and a 82 mustang GT. now as to timing your crank youre correct on the white mark at the indicator. usually the arrow. the cams should be lines up with the arrows on the cam gears both UP like the arrows show and there is timing marks on the gears themselves these marks have to lign up with the heads top edge where the valve cover gasket sits. there are 4 marks that should all line up with the heads top edge. i use a machinists straight edge ruller but a good eye works just as well. i'm just anal about shit LOL. now if you have adjustable cam gears that could be your problem. are your cam gears stock?

yeah my cam gears are stock and im sure i did the tensioner correct cuz i did as per the factory the service manual usiong torque specs and all. and the oil pump is on the end of the crank soi that is no issue goes on only one way. im gonna be checking everything today so we see what happens

I believe the key for the crank bolt should be a noon (if you take the bolt off to look) along with the cam gear arrows pointing up and the marks at 3 o'clock (exhaust) and 9 o'clock (intake).

Did you turn the crank around to ensure the tensioner worked after a full rotation?

i had all the timing marks dead on which i knew. the reason i couldnt get trhe red mark on was i forgot to jump the service connector under the dash. its been about 3 yrs since i worked on my car so i forgot lol. luckily the service manual saved my ass.

Back