B16 to GSR bottom end swap?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

stmotorsports

I'm planning on doing this as soon as I can get all the parts together, but I just thought of something- can I use all the stock B16 accessories/brackets/hardware and everything or will I have to change stuff to accomodate the taller block?

Im doing this as well. I know the alternator and bracket will fit, I dropped power steering and AC but I know the PS bracket fits. You'll want to get a gsr / type r timing belt and GSR headstuds (upgrade to arp's). Other than that it should be all good. Any header you have should work but clearance will be tighter.

Almost forgot you are going to need the gsr oil pan (the crank girdle is different and sticks out further).

One other thing to consider will be does your GSR block have a water cooler for the oil this is some odd looking metal loop where the oil filter goes my b16 didn't have one and my GSR block came stripped of all its goodies so I removed this contraption and bought a new oil filter fitting. or if your block came with the water tube from the water pump to thermostat it may have all the fittings you need and I have typed this paragraph for nothing.

One thing to consider though is replacing the pistons because with the b16 head on stock gsr pistons your compression is going to get low. I'd say mid to high 9's. If you are going turbo this is good but if not changing out the pistons or buying new ones would be a good idea.

It's not going to be that hard.

wow sweet thx for the info :thumbsup:

I haven't gotten ahold of a bottom end yet, but will definitely keep an eye out for the oil cooler issue.

I'm actually looking for the gsr bottom end specifically for the lower compression, already have a JRSC on the B16 and I think I figured it should be around ~9.8:1 or so with the B16C1 combo (or is it B18A2?) so perfect for what I'm looking for

also already have a dc 4-1 gsr header so should be ok there, and I will be keeping ac/ps

so the only thing I'll need to change is the timing belt- no different brackets/hardware, anything?

Back