B16 tranny needed?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

cangsekie

Hey,
I'm doing a virgin build at the moment right now. And as I was talking to one of the shop owner he said I should get B16 tranny if Im not going for turbo and frankly I dont know if that 4500~5500rpm @ 80mph will do me any good.
I'm not looking for high hp, this is just for fun and for DD only. Here is my build.
B20/vtec(b16 head)
Skunk2 ST2 Camshafts
Skunk2 Cam Gears
Rage Header
Spoon intake
Arc air intake
some suspension work and misc stuff
so basically what im asking is..
is B16 tranny worth my time and money??:huh:
thank you! for your help!

I like my B16 tranny. Yes, it sits a little high in the RPM's at highway speeds, but switch out the LS 5th gear and call it a day. The middle ground between the fun B16 and the sluggish LS is the GSR tranny--a little of both worlds right there.

well, i came across a deal from a friend of mine selling a b16 tranny for 550 and thought it is a great deal but then again i was kinda skeptic about high rpm.. however, i live in nyc so there is really no need for me to take a highway even if i decide to get away from the city i can just steal my mother's car you know. so other than high rpm b16 tranny is good enough?

well, i came across a deal from a friend of mine selling a b16 tranny for 550 and thought it is a great deal but then again i was kinda skeptic about high rpm.. however, i live in nyc so there is really no need for me to take a highway even if i decide to get away from the city i can just steal my mother's car you know. so other than high rpm b16 tranny is good enough?

B16 Tranny Would Work Wonders.

Last edited:
Even if you go boost, keep the b16 tranny. The short geared tranny has an excellent torque multiplier and you can work around getting the power to the ground instead of getting longer geared tranny.

If you are concerned about cruising rpm, LS 5th gears are fairly inexpensive and swap directly in with no other modifications.

since i have ls tranny i can just swap out the 5th gear without buying a new one then :D
thanks guys, and 1 more question..
is there anything else i should add this is totally going to be DD and nothing else.
I'm neither looking for high hp nor have wanted hp its for fun...
that being said.. anything else i should be looking into? no turbo though..
can't do turbo.. since i have to do new paint job..

Spend money on a decent suspension and tire/wheel setup.

Before you ask, there are TONS of different companies out there that make good suspensions, so do some research and set a price range that you want to fall into.

Back