B16 Tranny Questions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

HondaGuy

I have been considering what tranny to get for my future B16. I want a SI tranny but I want the one with LSD stock what is the name of it and the price range of it. or does it not exist.

Thanks everyone!

Since Iam such a nice guy right now I will just copy and paste this for you. This is all found in Articles page2 Transmission guide. I just happen to be reading these.
this guy named chet wrote this. NOT ME>

B16A (Cable), B16A2 (Hydro), B16A3(Hydro):
S4C, S80, Y80, Y21, Y1 (optional LSD)

As most of you know the B16A was featured in Japan between the years of 1989 through 2001. This engine has had several different transmissions mated to it causing some potential confusion.

First, it's important to realize that first generation B16A's came with cable transmissions. The Y1 came with optional factory LSD and should have LSD stamped on the transmission. Determining whether or not a transmission has LSD is very simple, just look into the differential and see if its opened or closed. For those not familiar with this, you'll either see a set of gears that form a closed cylinder, or you'll see an open differential with a bar splitting the middle.

Typically these transmissions have had weak synchro's in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gears with 3rd gears crunching the most. Its also worth noting that all of the transmissions minus the Y1 have very weak open differentials making it essential that you upgrade if your putting a lot of power to the ground.

As far as gearing, these transmissions are all pretty short. Here is a listing of the gear ratios and final drive, courtesy of www.bseries.net.

1st: 3.230
2nd: 2.105
3rd: 1.458
4th: 1.107
5th: 0.848
Reverse: 3.000
Final Drive: 4.400

In conclusion, this transmission is good for all motor and should bring between 500-700 if its hydraulic while cable transmissions are worth between 400-600. Please be careful that the transmission you're buying doesn't have bad synchro's because a lot of them have been beaten on and this is the first problem you'll have. Plus, if you're making a lot of power, 170 to the wheels, be prepared to replace your differential because these can be broken with regularity.

IMO, no.

get a quaiffe installed in a standard tranny. its a much stronger diff, and has a lifetime warranty.

that is a thousand dollars not including tranny! That might break the bank. :D

you can get a quaiffe LSD brand new for under $750

generally tack another $300 on to the price of whatever tranny for the model with an LSD

I am going to try to get a Hydro B16 tranny with LSD installed stock! sounds to me to be the cheapest route and they easiest.

you're going to spend about 800 bucks on that tranny with no warranty.

or 400 on a non-lsd + 800 for the quaiffe for something better and with a lifetime warranty.

your choice.

the quaiffe diff is a noticable gain over the oem dif's.

I am getting a B16a pre obd! So there for I have to use the Cable tranny right what are the pros and cons of this?

Back