B16 Tubo Question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ventolin5

I have a B16a2 that i am planing on throwin in my civic hb and i was going to get a decent turbo setup a little later after i biuld up the engine a bit.
My question is what type of power would i get from boosting the b16? Is it a farely powerful setup?
How would the b16/turbo compared to an ls/turbo?
I am starting to wonder if i should dump the whole thing and start goin for a ls/turbo. :unsure:
I just dont want spend a whole shitload of money just to look back and say -damn ishould have took the other route-
I am lookin to get a all around fast car, not just drag.

Any info, thought, or ideas would be awsome.

b16 stock will be faster than a stock ls motor... but boost wise... ls/t will be alot more powerful than b16/w turbo since the ls motor has a lower compression ratio making it more boost friendly....

b18b c/r:9.2
b16a2 c/r:10.4

thats complete and utter bullshit.

the higher compression a motor has, the more power (specifically, torque) it will make. Boosted, NA, juiced, whatever. there is NO arguing this fact. Stop posting stupid internet bullshit about low compression, when boosted, is faster.

if you're building a street car, i say go for the b16. you get a better tranny with it. you can always add a 1.8 bottom end later on down the road.

B16 turbo is a good base engine though for drag the ls setup will be much better. horsepower gained on the B16 is farely good yet it will satisfy your needs. since u don't want to drag all the time and have a good street machine i will stick to the B16 turbo. though in my opinion i will just build the B16 for all motor setup, but if u do want to go turbo go will the ls turbo. remember that the B16 has shorter gear ratios so turbo applications on the B16 may cause a little nick on drivability. i suggest a GSR tranny.

Yes but better for top end. And top end is where turbo's make the biggest difference. Actually a custom tranny would be best! But I would use an LS tranny for a boosted B-Series, because on a B16 or GSR tranny you will be taching out 5th and still have some more to push!

Originally posted by knowledge@Jun 12 2003, 02:08 PM
Yes but better for top end. And top end is where turbo's make the biggest difference. Actually a custom tranny would be best! But I would use an LS tranny for a boosted B-Series, because on a B16 or GSR tranny you will be taching out 5th and still have some more to push!

nope longer gearing is for motors with a wide power band. when you shift the engine would have to work up from a lower rpm, not what small displacement engines like.

many cars that make power up high use lots of gears(5-6gears) that are close ratio; like the skyline, nsx, s2000, etc. while cars that are torquey like chevy v8s use long gears(3-4 gears)

i have a b16 with a un-usable tranny already. SO if i boost the b16 i will need to get a tranny anyways, I was thinkin of goin with a 99-00 si tranny to match the engine or a maybe a gsr tranny.

I am a nobody when it comes to turbo honda engines its a whole new ballgame for me, but i thought that if you go with a turbo setup that you need to set up your engine for low compression bye getting gsr style cams and shit like that.
And how good of a combonation is boost and short gears? i just heard people sayin get longer gears so you turbo stays spooled up or whatever.

SO a b16 turbo setup would be in about what horse power/tourqe range? Just a rough estemate.

it's impossible to guess HP without knowing what turbo. I'd say an average setup would run about 250 to the wheels.

And as for lowering compression, cams have nothing to do with it. Your best bet to lower compression is to get low compression pistons. Boost and short gears equals rapid acceleration. However, saying "long" gears in an LS or similar tranny is just a relative term. It's not like it's a 4 speed or something. You'll be pretty happy with any turbo/tranny combo, I would imagine.

yes it will spool longer on long gears because itll take your b16 longer to reach redline, where all your power is at.

hp for the b16 with a small turbo should be in the 200s, torque around 160lbs. but it all depends on your setup; turbo and level of tuning.

i agree with pissedoffsol....just think about it. the higher your compression is the more horsepower your gonna have....my b16 setup up kicks ass is wouldnt have it any other way....

Originally posted by jaydemdc2@Jun 21 2003, 03:15 AM
i agree with pissedoffsol....just think about it. the higher your compression is the more horsepower your gonna have....my b16 setup up kicks ass is wouldnt have it any other way....

you guys are lucky, up here in the clouds..... too much compression and boost = detonation... :( <_<

Chris

Originally posted by ChrisSiR+Jun 25 2003, 05:26 PM-->
jaydemdc2
@Jun 21 2003, 03:15 AM

you guys are lucky, up here in the clouds..... too much compression and boost = detonation... :( <_<

Chris

If you tune it right detonation will be almost nonexistent, but with higher compression tuning becomes very very expensive

Back