B16 Turbo engine build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

JesseA

My friend gave me his 99 civic Si, and i have decided to make a fast track car...

So far i have sleeved the block to 84mm, Crower stroker kit, New fuel system with 750cc inj, ARP studs,

What cam should i get?

What kind of headwork should i do?

And what kind of Turbo should i go for?

I want to have 450+hp in the end
and a broad power band

If you're searching for a broad powerband, a 60-1 will suffice.

Pick up a set of GSR cams.

Headwork is dependent solely on the depth of your pockets.

B16 cams are geared for all motor applications, they have more overlap than the GSR cams, which means you are basically pushing unburned air/fuel right through the engine.

Well a bit of an update... Turns out the car is a 98 SI not a 99 SI, this complicates things a bit. Now i need to buy OEM water pump, starter, alternator, oil pump.

Right now i have a B16 block that AEBS provided getting sleeves installed and bored to 84mm. I have the following parts sitting on my living room floor.

Pauter rods, Eagle ESP crank, Wiseco 8:5:1 84mm pistons. ARP Main &head studs. ACL Race Bearing kit, 1000cc RC injectors, resistor box, AEM FPR, Brian Crower Valve set,springs, Ti retainers. Bronze valve guides, stage 2 BC cams, S366 T3 .70 A/R, Exedy flywheel. Mishimot 1/2 rad and hoses. Hasport EK engine mount kit, Walbro Fuel pump. AEBS intake manifold, custom ram turbo manifold. 44mm TIAL wastegate, 50mm TIAL BOV. Stage 4 Competition clutch.

so my questions are:

What am i missing?

What kind of mods will i have to do the wiring harness?

Will my ecu work or do i need a new ECU?

Since all i Have is an empty B16a2 block and cylinder head, will it be hard to get all sensors and plugs i may be missing?

What transmission should i get?

HELP!!!!!!!! please,,,

Ditch the ACL bearings, use the OEM Hondas, they are way better than ACLs, if you dont believe me Ill show you some ACL carnage pics. And as far as wiring I would convert to OBDI and run Crome, or if money isnt an issue a Hondata S300. Your stock ECU wont work, read through Matts thread "Intro to Turbocharging" for a more in-depth explaination. And tranny is up to you, B16, GSR, or LS B16 has the shortest gearing, think quick accel with comprimised top speed. The LS is the opposite, long gears, slower accel but higher top speed. The GSR is the happy medium. Or the B16 tranny with an LS fifth gear is also a popular option. Any of these trannies will hold up to the ponies if thats what you were asking.

Ditch the ACL bearings, use the OEM Hondas, they are way better than ACLs, if you dont believe me Ill show you some ACL carnage pics.

I want to see some pictures? I am not saying I there good I just want to see the destruction they cause.

ACL's clearances are a lot more sloppy than OEM Honda Bearings. Honda provides those color codes for a reason. Use them.

Lesson to be learned, gap your clearances properly or have a shop do it for you if you do not feel comfortable. Thousandths of an inch can make an astonishing difference in these engines, especially when making 450+whp and turning 8k+ RPMs.

Wow that sucks man. That really is a lot of damage.

I got the whole swap for $500 so I really wasnt too worried about, that and I had the B16 swap waiting to go in.:D

Lesson to be learned, gap your clearances properly or have a shop do it for you if you do not feel comfortable. Thousandths of an inch can make an astonishing difference in these engines, especially when making 450+whp and turning 8k+ RPMs.
I didnt build that motor, I bought it like that, and like I said above it was a $500 swap, I got $100 in scrap for the block and head, then sold the tranny fo $200.

Damn thats pretty rough,

Yah i am looking into getting a shop to blueprint the motor and will use honda oem bearings,

What is the average cost of a blueprint?

I live in canada and the quotes seem all over the place.

Also took your advice and ordered a P28 with a hondata s300 with the boost solenoid and 4 bar MAP sensor.

as for tranny, they seem to be harder to find then i thought, might go junkyard hunting when winter is over.

Given that everything is brand new could i just follow the color codes for the bearings, or should i go through the process of measuring tolerances and getting the best bearing. how likely is it that new parts will be out of spec.

The colors designate a clearance or tolerance if you will, basically the colors are there just for quick identification. Yes, you shoud measure out the clearances for each bearing. You may end up with several different colors and sizes of bearings but in the end the clearances will be exact on each bearing, which is exactly what Honda designed them to be there for.

Another stupid question, i have an empty block,, what sensors do i need to buy for a b16a2 obd2 also what sensors are on the intake/cylinder head.... a d16y8 is in the car are the sensors the same by any chance.

yow bro there is lots u can do!i am from trinidad with a b16a with forged pistons at a 91mm bore instead of the 81mm standard size,cupper clutch,L.S.D. shortshifter gearbox,t3t4 turbonetics turbo,M.S.D.coil,skunk2 exhaust,tein coilovers,4whl willwood disc brakes,hks blowoff,tial wastegate,greddy hi boost remote controller and just 2 put an icening on the cake,an A.E.M. indipendant brain box.To pull me to a cool 380hp with ease.so its a nice project to persue.

what do you want for the race bearing kit? whats the part number? I have used ACL with no prob, just gotta make sure they meet spec. if they are too lose then you add a ceramic coat, if they are too tight you get em cut. its easy....tools of the trade gentlemen.

what do you want for the race bearing kit? whats the part number? I have used ACL with no prob, just gotta make sure they meet spec. if they are too lose then you add a ceramic coat, if they are too tight you get em cut. its easy....tools of the trade gentlemen.

Too much work for me when I can just pick up a set of oem bearings and work from there ;)

also, this thread is a year old.

Back