b16/turbo vs ls/turbo vs sohc/turbo

What is a best choice for a daily driver with about $3000 to invest?

• LS Turbo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stock SOHC Tu

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

get_nick

These snozzberries taste like snozzberries...
VIP
I just bought a 99 dx hatch. The SOHC non vtec motor has 46k on it, but is hella weak. I was thinking about doing a swap and turbo or just turbo'ing the sohc. I want to stay around $2500. I was thinking of doing a swap and just adding a turbo kit. i don't have the time or resources to piece the kit together myself. This is going to be a daily driver and i am going to leave it stock after i do this modification i just want to have a little pep in case some high school kid gets cute with his little volkswagon corrado or some other gay car. Let me know if you have any suggestions on a specific site or ebay kit that would be good.

oh yeah...the $2500 includes buying the swap and the el cheapo turbo kit.
Let me know why you guys vote for which swap to. let me know why you voted the way you did to please. THANKS!!!

OVERKILL, but with a boost controller you might be alright. Hell that on my lude would make OVER 400WHP.

ok to tell you the truth if you want to attempt a swap AND turbo your gonna have to get a custom turbo...if you know a little bit about turbos that is the BEST thing to do..that is what im doing...now the question about if you want to turbo your SOHC how much whp do you want? a stock SOHC can have about 200-220 whp safely on stock internals...if you want more info on SOHC turbo I would check this forum out I have been reading it for a while its GREAT resource for turbos http://turbod16.com/

Originally posted by reikoshea@Jul 12 2005, 08:15 PM
OVERKILL, but with a boost controller you might be alright. Hell that on my lude would make OVER 400WHP.
[post=525020]Quoted post[/post]​

What part is overkill? i have seen legit ls swaps for $1000 all the tme and that vecco turbo kit i posted the link to is $1700. This should put me into the mid 13's around 230hp on the stock motor, at least. And that is fast enough to beat about 85% of cars on the streets, imports and domestic muscle. i was just wondering what people think about these setups. thanks for input.

T3-60 turbo is overkill. But with a boost controller youd be okay. That T3-60 is insane power for a SOHC B16.

you wont be able to afford a b16 swap + turbo

you can boost a d series for 1k easy and it will hit 13's all day

ls swap are pointless nowadays IMO

Originally posted by get_nick@Jul 12 2005, 03:42 PM
I just bought a 99 dx hatch. The SOHC non vtec motor has 46k on it, but is hella weak. I was thinking about doing a swap and turbo or just turbo'ing the sohc.
[post=524864]Quoted post[/post]​

b16 is dohc vtec and does not come in a dx

personally i'd say keep the sohc...if you take the time to piece the kit together ( I know you said you didnt have the time btw) you can be boosted for under 1000 dollars.
you're forgetting the other small things that dont come along with that kit though....gauges, gauge pod, turbo timer, catchcan, possibly an ecu and obd2 to obd1 wiring harness to run uberdata, if not an safc. boost controller, wideband if you're tuning. if not you've got to pay someone to tune. Plus you're already over your 2500 with the swap and the turbo kit.
I'm not saying its a bad idea...the kit looks like its pretty solid. the sohc would be much cheaper and you'd probably be pretty happy with it for a daily driven car.

ok here we go.....there is no such thing as a sohc b16!!! unless honda just introduced it and since im a honda tech. @redell honda in murfreesboro, tn.....i dont think they did. now then....teh vecco/ss auto chrome stuff on ebay is quite frankly ......shit! bite the bullet and buy a drag, rev hard, or fmax kit., if you dont want to take the time to put it together. which usually helps since kits are just that..kits they are generic often using the best turbo to suit a wide varitey of applications. but anyway there ya go take it for what its worth. boost the D16 and have fun!

actually. dont even buy a kit. its a good waste of money. You say you dont have resources, but you have teh internet. thast all you need. start doing a little research about turbos and what turbo would be efficient for whatever engine you get. you could get teh B16 for about 1500...plus mounts..200-300. you can tmake you own turbo kit for under a grand, but it will be really shitty. I spent about 1500 on mine and its halfway decent. I'm alerady upgrading things I should have bought correctly in teh first place. **hint** get a good FMIC!

ye i voted ls cuz its cheap but still makes more power than a d

or boost the d series that would be even cheaper

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jul 13 2005, 08:29 AM
00-01 LS swap: 1200
DIY turbo: 1200

done
[post=525309]Quoted post[/post]​

i want to see where i could get a complete 00-01 ls swap for 1.2k.....because ill buy it.

back to the question in hand..i say buy the ls swap...then save some more money and make a nice kit....the internet is you main resource for parts...

ls + turbo=230hp with tuning. price-$2400 (according to Brian)
sohc + turbo=160hp with tuning price-$1200 (home made kit)

i guess i'm looking at bang for the buck. Plus after i install the LS i would have a decent powered daily until i find the right turbo kit. I guess if you look at it as dollar for dollar hp the extra 70 hp from the LS swap for $1200 more is a great deal. Don't forget, the sohc comes with a measly 106 hp which means it probably puts down about 85 to the wheels right now. lol.

i say lst. the b16 alone will cost you around 2000. where as a good ls could be under 1000.
but if you have that much money you could built the d for about a 1000 and then boost it with the other 1500

Originally posted by micah@Jul 13 2005, 01:17 AM
you wont be able to afford a b16 swap + turbo

you can boost a d series for 1k easy and it will hit 13's all day

ls swap are pointless nowadays IMO
[post=525219]Quoted post[/post]​

i guess torque is pointless nowadays right??? cus a b16 doesnt have it.

Tell you what man. Go with the LS...I will sell you my ls long block for 5 bills. Thats right 500, it needs a fly wheel and a tranny but those are a dime a dozzen. It is a OBD1 motor though. I have a ecu for it and it comes with some red top injectors i think there 310cc but not sure....Better yet hommie i will sell you the LS with the turbo kit I had on it for 1500.

Back