b16 valve cover stud torque

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

bakerderek0

Up a Creek...
Hi all,
The outer valve cover studs on my B16 are all stripped out. I just got the new ones in (90012-pm7-000). Does anyone know the torque specs for these? Do they need thread lock? I know the valve cover torque specs and the order to do it in. I just need the stud torque specs for the outer four studs, not the inner studs. Thanks!

:werd: ... hand tight should do the job.. just dont over do it to where to smash the gasket or snap teh stud..

people strip valve cover bolts all the time b/c they torgue them down. They dont know how loose you can have them and still have no oil leakes and not affect the engine. As long as you dont have any oil leaks they'll be tight enough. If it leaks oil over time, tighten them a quarter of a turn until there are no oil leaks

10-4. Just to make this clear, I'm looking for the torque spec on the studs that tighten into the head. These studs are what the valve cover bolts tighten on to. If you have any confusion, just google the forementioned part number.

Yea, it definatly says 16 ft/lbs.
I downloaded the FSM at: FULL B16A helms manual inside!!! - ClubSi

It may be for a B18, but a B16 should be the same. Anyways, after doing it I would just snug them up using your common sense, unless you have a nice torque wrench. I did strip out the holes in the head when my torque wrench never clicked at 16ft/lbs, much less 7.2 ft/lbs on the valve cover nuts.

Back