B16 vs. B16

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

rsaeini

i know i've been MIA for a while but i've been back for a little while...i spend most of my time just reading through the posts. i finally have a question:

can a 1st gen B16 block be mated to a B16A2 head without any problems?
what i've been thinking about doing is buying a 1st gen block and building it up and swap it out with my B16A2 block and use my current B16A2 head. Are there any reasons why I shouldn't go this route.
the reason i wanted to go this route is cuz the 1st gen blocks are really cheap.

i'm going for a moderate setup for the street, give me some feedback.
my setup is going to consist of the following:

-b16a2 head: ITR cams*, dual valve springs, titanium retainers.
-1st-gen b16 block: eagle rods, CTR pistons, ARP bolts.
-bolt ons: AEM cai*, JDM ITR header, test pipe, mandrel bent piping, spoon muffler, skunk2/ITR intake manifold, erick's racing 66-68mm TB, aftermarket FPR, V-AFC.
-drivetrain: stage 2 clutch*, 8lb. flywheel*.
*=i already have it.

thanks.

I'm sure they match up, a b16 is a b16, the only difference is when it comes to swapping bottom end parts, like b16b parts. In fact I think the b16b is the only odd one. you should have no problem mating the a2 head. You would, however, run into smog issues if you live in california, I'm pretty sure. Just make sure the block was manufactured at the same year as your car or newer, you should be fine.

When you get your JDM ITR header, be sure to get this or you'll probably scrape/damage the header. (at least thats what I was told)

Other than that...I'm not sure if the non vtec b series block would have the necessary oil passages for a VTEC head.

Originally posted by revolution8k@Apr 29 2004, 12:32 AM
...I'm not sure if the non vtec b series block would have the necessary oil passages for a VTEC head.

You are right, the oil passages in a vtec block are not going to cut it for a vtec head, but he is talking about swapping a new b16a2 head onto the old b16a block, both of which are vtec, and both of which contain the exact same oil passages. The only differences between the two were the OBD electronics for each engine; mechanically they are the same. The camshafts are slightly differrent in profile, as are the pistons, but everything else is the same, and if you are just talking about swapping the head, everything should match up perfectly. Be careful about the smog thing though, like I said earlier, if you are worried about that. edit:As for the CTR pistons, I'd go with wiseco or IBspecs, which are just modified wisecos. JE and Arias are good too. Just spend the extra couple hundred for the forged pistons you'll be happier.

Yo I've been back for a little while but I just stick to reading other peoples posts. I tried to drop out of the whole scene but my friends kept pulling me back in.
I just finally decided to build a small-budget moderate street setup and be done with it...and plus I miss working on cars....I'm going for a low-to-mid 14 second street car... I think I can get there with the setup I chose especially when you combine it with no interior and me going on a diet...hahahaha.

On a side note, does anyone know where I might be able to come accross a soft copy of a helms manual for a B16 equipped car?

Originally posted by revolution8k@Apr 29 2004, 02:32 AM
When you get your JDM ITR header, be sure to get this or you'll probably scrape/damage the header. (at least thats what I was told)

Other than that...I'm not sure if the non vtec b series block would have the necessary oil passages for a VTEC head.

thanks rev8k, I couldn't remember for the life of me who made those. I need to order one for my header.

Back