b16 vs b18

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ok quick question. i was trying to stuff my head full of honda knowledge by going all over the net and reading about motors and swaps and what not. i can't remember the web site, but one person mentioned the fact that h22 are an unpopular swap to do in my year sol/civic due to the fact that the intake mani. is taller than the be series and you would have to fabricate a hood or take it off....is that true???
no, the hood will be fine, on a 92+civic, dont no about the otheres

I don't think it's an issue on the older Civics either I've seen H22 swaps with the stock hood before. If anything, the problem would be with the engine mount kit and not the car.

thank you for all your help, especially ahhvtec, norcalgsr, and brutal. you guys seem to know your shit.ne ways in the end i am prolly shootin for the b18c1, but if i can find the kit to keep the ac and power steering in the hss then i would prefer that, i ain't gifted enough to make custom brakets so i would have to find a kit, but thank you all for the insight.

well there out there just finding them might be tricky,,..but no problem anytime;)

i have a 2000 civic hatch which is comparable to the del sol in weight... i have been doing alot of research into the b16 b18 swap... and i totaly would go for the b18 type R.... the swap is a little harder than a gsr but much nicer and much stronger if done right... but the big question is what you have done suspention wise? if you have not done suspention then go with the b16 and spend the rest on suspention! cause i have seen sohc vtecs beat b16's when the single has the right suspention! but either way you do it.... welcome to the 200 and up club... its nice!!

thanx for the in put. the type r motor is too expenxive for my taste. if i was rich then i would say fuck it and do an f20c swap. but since money is an issue im gonna stick with the b18c. the b16 is stock in the DOHC delsol and i wanna go "crazy" with this car. around here there isn't much so a b18c1 in a lil del sol is nuts. but u are right, the del sol suspension sucks, and idk why could some one tellme that. I have a buddy who has a 90 teggy ls and his handling is soooo much better.why is that??

my car isn't very heavy so coulda that hurt me in a road race....lets say with alot of 90 degree turns????

im not sure how much this will help, but my friend jus got this Energy Suspension Hyper-Flex System for his Crx and he says with puttin on a little over half of the stuff in the kit, his car handles MUCH MUCH better, u can look into that if you want. I plan on gettin them soon for my 93 Sol

del sol is around 2300 pounds i think the civic is like 2100 pounds. but it should be fast and YES go with the gsr i have a b16a2 170hp and it lacks the toque i would preffer. make you a list of stuff youll need and make sure you have eveything and it will make installation alot easier. see if it comes with the halfshaft youll need that. youll need motor, trans,ecu,halfshaft axles from integra and shift linkage from integra 94 and up on teg parts. and a jumper harness for wiring ease if preffered i have one im selling but im in memphis

you can find the ac bracket you need on ebay for around 100 bucks i have one of those too. but im using it...and you can keep power steering you might have to get a custom hose made or cut the end fitting off the power steering hose that might come with your swap and weld it to your hose.

what year civic's r u talkin about becausemy buddy has a 95 civic and his car weighs 2200 stripped down to nothing except the front seats, yet he has a turbo on it. now idk how much the turbo weighs but that civic ain't no 2100 im srry. im goin with the b18c1. if i buy a complete motor from HMO will that cover everything, except motor mounts i no i need new ones, but other than those will it cover it all?? ive checked and it says it willi just want to make sure

what year civic's r u talkin about becausemy buddy has a 95 civic and his car weighs 2200 stripped down to nothing except the front seats, yet he has a turbo on it. now idk how much the turbo weighs but that civic ain't no 2100 im srry. im goin with the b18c1. if i buy a complete motor from HMO will that cover everything, except motor mounts i no i need new ones, but other than those will it cover it all?? ive checked and it says it willi just want to make sure

i just bought and recieved my GSR from HMO. paid 3374 shipping included for all everything needed to swap into my EK PLUS the AC bracket.

2 mounts from the civic Si
New Axles
a/c bracket off 94-95 del sol
obd2a p72 virgin ecu
obd2a b18c + tranny
wiring harness
shift linkages and shifter

it was the cleanest b18c i have seen short of the first GSR i saw on a showroom floor with 5,000 miles on it back in '02.

basically, when you talk to them you tell them what car you have and wether or not you want the complete change over or not. they will tell you what you need to do the swap in the car. great guys, wont dick you around and they really know their stuff.

I spoke with steve, was really nice and really new his shit.

H.M.O - Steve
9229 Laurel Cyn Blvd,
Arleta, CA 91331.
(818) 723-2572 or (818) 768-3067
E-mail:- sales@hmotorsonline.com

Vehicle Dimensions

Specification2-door coupe2-door hatchback4-door sedan

Wheelbase, in.103.2101.3103.2

Overall Length, in.172.8160.2173.0

Overall Width, in.66.966.966.9

Overall Height, in.50.950.751.7

Curb Weight, lbs.223121082213

Cargo Volume, cu. ft.11.813.312.4

Standard Payload, lbs.------

Fuel Capacity, gals.11.911.911.9

Seating Capacity555

Front Head Room, in.38.538.639.1

Max. Front Leg Room, in.42.542.542.5

Rear Head Room, in.34.936.537.2

Max. Rear Leg Room, in.31.130.532.8
1992 civic cx b16a2

ok there is where the problem is....he has a 2 door coupe. he doesn't have a hatch. i know that the hatch's are really light. the del sol. is 2300 stock. i havn't takin mine to a weigh station but with the top off and the tire and trunk stripped i would think it would be close to that. i was just sayin what i saw on the screen when my buddy put his civic on the scale i wasn't sayin u were wrong.

ok heres you stock specs for weight. 1.5 ltr 2295 pounds, 1.6 ltr sohc 2414, 1.6 ltr dohc 2522.. sooo. with that being said and your swapping your motor too thats gonna add about .....150 pounds maybe. so good luck.and tHse specs are for manual trans

i don't want to boost, im not really concerned on hp right now cause i know if i want to i can always add more. so for now i would say around 180hp. ive just heard the b18's torque is impressive on these little cars. i know b16 can be pretty potent but i want the torque.

Just get a GSR (180 hp 127 tq plenty for a civic)

if you want to stay away from boost and not drop alot on mods, do a H22a then.

me, i picked a GSR and im dropping in a few mods. come summer ill be looking into boosting maybe :huh:

for now, once it gets dropped in and all my little add ons and tweaks should put it to around 210 at the wheels with around 150 tq. essentialy the same as dropping in a h22 the expensive way :p but ill be prepared to drop on that sweet boost baby!:ph34r:

Back