b16 vs b18b

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

HatchSpeeD

...Hi...
Well, I've been saving up and learning from the almighty honda Gods here (thanks everyone). My debt will be gone soon and hopefully I will have enough money for my swap soon. I'm pretty much torn between a b18b1 or b16asir2. I would really love to have a b18c but I really cannot afford the extra $1000.

Somethings to consider;

This is my daily driver. I want to have some fun with it too and eventually start going to the track, most likely road courses.

I want to do the swap myself. I've never done it before but I want the experience and I can't afford to pay a shop to do it (plus I don't trust people around here). This might be difficult because I don't have a lot of tools nor a garage (its getting cold Brrrr). Hopefully my friends will help me out. Also I can't afford a lot of downtime because I need my car for work, ugh :(

I just can't decide between those 2 swaps.
If I get the b18b1 i'll have more displacment, more torque and the swap seems like its more easier as far as wiring. (everything should just plug in)

If I get the b16, I get the higher HP output, and the V-tEch y0! Its more rev happy which is fun but as far as the swap goes, there is a lot more wiring. But its jdm so I think I would have use 93 octane (correct)? I might not pass emmissions.

I dunno. I guess i'm looking for the best overall package.
So I guess whats your opinions between the two, because I can't make up my mind. BTW, I got a 94 civic hatch cx. PEAS*

i'd go with a 95 b18b. it's obd1, so wiring isn't an issue really at all. also, it has more torque than a b16, it's more affordable, and you could always drop new cams and get the head ported & polished (which would pretty much give you V-tEcH y0!

ahem...

it's your decision, but if i were you, i'd go with the b18. you can make up for horsepower. torque...well, it's not as easy to make up for torque.

B18.

Originally posted by HatchSpeeD@Nov 17 2003, 04:04 AM
If I get the b16, I get the higher HP output, and the V-tEch y0! Its more rev happy which is fun but as far as the swap goes, there is a lot more wiring. But its jdm so I think I would have use 93 octane (correct)? I might not pass emmissions.

Ya, the JDM B16A is much more wiring. Since the motor originally was in a RHD car, my EX wiring harness would not plug in properly at all - i know that this website says it will plug in, but that was not the case for me since i had some plugs that my stock harness would not reach - so i had to have the wires run back through the harness. It was expensive.

IMO, i like my B16 - its fun, quick, and was a great buy. If you are looking to do the motor swap urself, buy a b18B - then down the road, put the SiR II head on it and have LSvtec.

Originally posted by Cashizslick@Nov 17 2003, 03:36 PM

Ya, the JDM B16A is much more wiring. Since the motor originally was in a RHD car, my EX wiring harness would not plug in properly at all - i know that this website says it will plug in, but that was not the case for me since i had some plugs that my stock harness would not reach -

I've said it before, and I am saying it again, you are a fucktard, the harness plugs right in, I have done, and seen it done a few times. It isn't "this website" as you insinuate there is some misinformation here. It is the rest of the fucking world, that has much experiance in doing this.

:werd:

even though it didnt work right, everything was on the right side on my jdm obd0 harness when i hacked...errrr wired it up.

likewise when thta didnt work and i hacked my stock harness.

right as in correct...not right as in "right vs left"....

whatever, you get the idea

If you want to do road corse style racing I would personaly go with the B16. Nice smooth torque curve, capable of 9k rpm with a chip, and you can still run 91octane just pull some timing.

smooth torque curve? only because it's torqueless, man....

and what chip will let you SAFELY rev a STOCK b16 to 9k? and even if it did, a stock b16 makes max power at 7600. there's no point in revving to 9k.

thats what i tohught.

:tardcart:

Hi

Yea, been thinking about it...probably will just go for the b18b1 for the added simplicity and more torque. We'll see, still open to comparisons and such.

Last time I checked he was driving a civic not towing a boat, so massive torque isn't exactly a big deal, unless your taking fat chicks on the track, and if he was the stock gear box on the b16 is nice and short so it actualy mutiplies torque(imagine that?). Regarding the chip, its very common, thats if you haven't been under a single cam your whole life. The B16 does stop making power at 7600 but would you rather just ride out a gear or spend time upshifting before a corner just to downshift as you brake? The B18b has a 6800 redline with an extreamly tall gear box, not the best for a coner cutter. Maybe a turbo highway killer.

well, i suppose everyone's entitled to his own opinion....

even if he's wrong. even with a chip, there's no point in revving a b16 to 9k.

buy the B16 if you have the money for it, for the wiring all you have to do is pull the JDM harness off of it and put the harness from your motor on to it. cut the vtec and knock sensor wires out of the JDM harness and wrap them to your old harness and you are good to go
this will give you higher rev limit, better gearing, and the option to have a stock LSD.... very good thing to have for daily driving or road course/auto-x

I did all the wiring on my engine and had my mechanic install it for $400... had to buy new axles though, but that could happen with any swap you get

Originally posted by seanjuan@Nov 18 2003, 10:34 AM
buy the B16 if you have the money for it, for the wiring all you have to do is pull the JDM harness off of it and put the harness from your motor on to it. cut the vtec and knock sensor wires out of the JDM harness and wrap them to your old harness and you are good to go
this will give you higher rev limit, better gearing, and the option to have a stock LSD.... very good thing to have for daily driving or road course/auto-x

I did all the wiring on my engine and had my mechanic install it for $400... had to buy new axles though, but that could happen with any swap you get

Don't you have to add the wires (for vtec and knock sensor) on the car side of the harness too? The part of the harness that runs from the plug to the ecu. You may have not had to because you might have a 92 civic or an ex with both to my understanding are already pre-wired for vtec. I could be wrong...someone help me out there.

fuck that, bolt a b16 or gsr tranny to a turbo ls and you got yourself a monster. b18b1's are perfect for turbo applications, with the right tranny downshifting on a corner could put you right in the powerband you want to be in. Everyone degrades the b18b1 because of the "no vtec" factor and the shitty tranny it comes with, but with proper parts and tuning it's a great engine with alot of potential. PERIOD.

On my 92 dx theres an extra plug coming from the cars harness, that isn't used, I have a b18b1 so it may be for vtec

Hey man from personal experience, I love my b18b...wasn't too hard to put in really...wiring was the hardest part....just give ur self enough time to do it. I gave myself a week (working on it pretty much only at night) and it took that whole week to get it in and wired (Sun - Thurs) with just me an my uncle.
Anywayz back to the point...the b16 will give you Vtec, as well as alot of high end power, and a nicely geared transmission for accel, the b18b tranny isn't as long as everyone says it is, it accels quite nicely and also cruises at 80mph at roughly 3500ish (can't exactly remember) so the highway ride is nice. The torque is impressive, i haven't raced a b16 powered civic yet, but i have owned a couple of cars so far with this new engine and just am happy with the b18. Plus its a good starting ground, w/some crower 403s with the head package and a pp'd head it pushes some serious power. Plus its low compression and a nice turbo platform.

It really just comes down to you. You wont have vtec with the b18b but I don't think you'll miss it that much. Buy what ya want, but im happy with my b18.

Back